It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Contiki 2.x Clients Beta
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:17 am 

Hi,

After a very long time I finally fix the (hopefully) last networking issue with Contiki 2.x :D

Therefore it made now sense to build client apps not working before - which are www, irc and email.

There will be a release real soon so it would be great if you could give the apps a test...

It's very late by now so only a few comments:

- The email '@' bug is fixed.

- There's no mouse support right now due to an issue with the cc65 mouse driver - hopefully someone will fix it soon.

- The FTP app code is quite incompatible with the standalone fullscreen type of build ... maybe (much) later.

- The irc and email app are generally buildable as C128 native mode 80 column apps but there's an issue with the cc65 80 column support - which I presume will be fixed quickly.

- The www app is way to large for the current cc65 C128 memory layout. Someone would need to add some CBM "magic" like banking/hiding/... - you guys know about it, but I don't :wink: Then a native mode 80 column browser (probably with mouse support) would be feasable.

Just put the files onto your existing Contiki 2.x disks/images. They use the same 'contiki.cfg' and Ethernet drivers the Contiki 2.x web server is using.

Many thanks in advance for your time/feedback, Oliver

Attachments:
File comment: Beta Version of Contiki 2.x Clients (www, irc, email)
Contiki Clients Beta.zip [49.81 KiB]
Downloaded 515 times
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

It's Playtime!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:59 pm 

Oliver,

Great job. I was able to compile Contiki 2.4 finally. Just curious. Are you going to release one that has the Contiki front end? Basically, looks like a colored GEOS. I really would like to see what that would look like since you got the problem with the Network protocol corrected.

Tested and works fine, BTW.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 pm 

Hi mistermsk,

mistermsk wrote:
reat job. I was able to compile Contiki 2.4 finally.

:)

mistermsk wrote:
Just curious. Are you going to release one that has the Contiki front end? Basically, looks like a colored GEOS. I really would like to see what that would look like since you got the problem with the Network protocol corrected.

Sorry but I don't understand what you are refering to - even tried multi. Could you please elaborate?

mistermsk wrote:
Tested and works fine, BTW.

Thanks for the feedback, Oliver

P.S.: Some (very) good news...

Both the C64 mouse driver and the C128 80 col mode are fixed in the cc65 CVS head. Uz is about to port the fixes down to 2.13.x and release a cc65 2.13.2. :D

Additionally cc65 2.13.2 will bring the ability to run Contiki apps from other devices than #8 :!:

So stay tuned for the by far coolest Contiki release ever...

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:29 pm 

Just seeing if there is any news on this? It will be great getting Contiki 2.4 operating with a 1351 mouse.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:09 pm 

Hi mistermsk,

Sometimes one probably just continues to long to add features before the release. In this case I reached out to 'soci' and we cooperate very nicely in adding IDE64 support to the Contiki main code line. The code in question replaces the cc65 C library standard file I/O code. It checks at runtime for presence of IDE64 and falls back to Kernal operation if IDE64 isn't found. Still the code is smaller than the original cc65 code. Additionally soci and I implemented support for subdirectories in the web server both on IDE64 and CMD devices. This effort is very close to be done. And soci fixed the IDE64 firmware to allow to open one file multiple times - which is very useful for the web server.

Additionally I found a bug in the web browser related to PETSCII<->ASCII conversion that therefore doesn't show up in the Apple2 variant. I'd like to take the time to fix this one before release.

Finally I'm still hoping to get an updated Breadbox64 binary for inclusion into the disk images (but I'd go without if that would be the bottle neck).

So the bad news are "it's still not there" but the good news are "it's (slowly) moving forward and getting better" ...

Regards,
Oliver

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:23 pm 

KeWL! Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:01 pm 

mistermsk wrote:
KeWL! Thanks for the update.
You're welcome :)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:34 am 

Thank you very much Oliver for these Contiki 2.4 clients. I struggled for a very long time to get your other Contiki builds to work on my c64. They would just start with a blank screen as if the program had frozen or something to that effect.

These work perfectly.

I used an ML Monitor to modify your builds so that the screen can be black and the text can be white. I upload it here for those who are interested.

Thank you Oliver for the excellent work that you do. I'm very grateful.

Attachments:
Network Utils 2.d64.tar.gz [83.97 KiB]
Downloaded 529 times
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:59 am 

Hi,

Oliver wrote:
So the bad news are "it's still not there" but the good news are "it's (slowly) moving forward and getting better" ...

So the good news are "it's finally there" :D

Contiki 2.4 binary release for Retrocomputing

Regards,
Oliver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

This is exciting news! And once again a big Thankyou for supporting the retro community!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:10 pm 

@RaveGuru: Thanks for the very nice feedback :)

I know that the Contiki paradigms aren't that easy to grasp and especially that Contiki is quite the opposite of well documented ;). Nevertheless I'd be happy to have more than one 3rd party Contiki program to deliver with Contiki 2.5 ...

Regards,
Oliver