It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:05 pm 

Stinky wrote:
gideonz wrote:
Wonder-Boy wrote:
I have read that the 1541U does not work in a cartridge expander? Is this true?
Well, the first prototype doesn't work with all expanders.

What issues does it have with expansions? Is it a buffering issue or just IO address conflicts?
That is to be investigated. But when it comes to buffering, that's better in the second run.
Stinky wrote:
Also brings up a question, AR/FCIII are not compatible with REU due to IO conflicts, which is a problem with a device which implements both speeder cart and REU. RetroReplay works fine with REU. Have you tested with a Retro Replay image?
At this time, REU and cart can't be used at the same time, due to this address conflict. RR could be an option, but the reason that I haven't already implemented it, is that I don't want to get into a conflict with Jens Schoenfield from Individual Computers, since he is still selling that cart. I would need to talk to Jens first. On the other hand, once the whole thing becomes "open source", people could hack RR in there themselves.
Stinky wrote:
On the subject of RR, how hard would it be to implement a clockport on U1541? :) Cart expanders may never be needed again...
I am not sure if the to-be-connected expansion boards would work on 3.3V. Does anyone know? Please don't see this as a promise that the 1541U will include a clock port. I have had this discussion already some time ago with one of my colleagues here at work (another C=freak), and we agreed that it is more sensible to stick to the essential functionality of the project. On the other hand, if more people want this, then why not consider it? Again, do not take this as a promise or even as a suggestion that future 1541Us will have this port.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:34 pm 

gideonz wrote:
At this time, REU and cart can't be used at the same time, due to this address conflict. RR could be an option, but the reason that I haven't already implemented it, is that I don't want to get into a conflict with Jens Schoenfield from Individual Computers, since he is still selling that cart. I would need to talk to Jens first. On the other hand, once the whole thing becomes "open source", people could hack RR in there themselves.

The REU/clockport compatible software uses RR special logic, so you're right that wouldn't be neighbourly especially after Jens has done a nice new run. :)

gideonz wrote:
I am not sure if the to-be-connected expansion boards would work on 3.3V. Does anyone know?

The port pinout spec is 5V but I don't think SilverSurfer (my preferred peripheral) would work with such a low voltage. I think it does 5V serial without pulling up to full 12V RS232.

It would be a nice feature but there are other options for serial and ethernet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:35 am 
Site Admin

gideonz wrote:
RaveGuru wrote:
gideonz wrote:
The output is just a line-out kind of jack plug. You could attach it to a speakerset if you want.

What? Wait! Does it emulate the sounds from a 1541 too??? :shock:

Yup, of course! 100% compatibility, right? :D

That's it! Sign me up for the Ultra Plus De Luxe version!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:45 am 
Site Admin

gideonz wrote:
The latter turned out to be used in the loader of the Wild Bunch. After fixing the cpu this demo also worked.

It warms my heart that you're committed to make 1541U support Instinctdemos :D

Stinky wrote:
On the subject of RR, how hard would it be to implement a clockport on U1541? Smile Cart expanders may never be needed again...

Which brings up the currently slightly disregarded option of using 1541U as an external unit since I couldn't possibly live one day without RR-Net. How is the progress and what's the estimated ETA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:04 am 

i´m not familiar with any c64 ram expansion, but with the right software support - might it be possible to emulate the big .crt-files e.g. of pang, navy seals or space gun on the 1541 plus that run badly from floppy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:24 pm 

RaveGuru wrote:
gideonz wrote:
The latter turned out to be used in the loader of the Wild Bunch. After fixing the cpu this demo also worked.
It warms my heart that you're committed to make 1541U support Instinctdemos :D
Stinky wrote:
On the subject of RR, how hard would it be to implement a clockport on U1541? Smile Cart expanders may never be needed again...
Which brings up the currently slightly disregarded option of using 1541U as an external unit since I couldn't possibly live one day without RR-Net. How is the progress and what's the estimated ETA?
The progress is "good"; I did some design changes to optimize the it for production and machine-compatibility (there were some problems with the C128). I am expecting the units to be ready for shipping in the first half of March this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:45 am 

I wonder if it will be possible to add an LCD display for using the 1541 Ultimate as a stand-alone unit, as for the 1541-III ? I am thinking it may be hard to find the right .d64 file on the SD-card without a display.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:52 am 

Wonder-Boy wrote:
I wonder if it will be possible to add an LCD display for using the 1541 Ultimate as a stand-alone unit, as for the 1541-III ? I am thinking it may be hard to find the right .d64 file on the SD-card without a display.

Take a look at the videos in the other thread. The device has a freezer menu which lets you mount your images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:47 am 

Stinky wrote:
Wonder-Boy wrote:

Take a look at the videos in the other thread. The device has a freezer menu which lets you mount your images.

Yes, but that wont help in stand alone mode

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:21 pm 

hollowman wrote:

Just use your SX64 for the menu. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:30 pm 

Stinky wrote:
hollowman wrote:

Just use your SX64 for the menu. :lol:

Hehe.. Well, in fact Stinky is right; you could use the menu on one computer, select the disk there, and access the 1541 drive in the Ultimate from another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:58 pm 

OK, that is an idea. It can work on a big desk but it is not a very portable solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:45 pm 

Wonder-Boy wrote:
OK, that is an idea. It can work on a big desk but it is not a very portable solution.

I agree. What I will do, is -in time, not now!- select a display and describe on how to attach this display to the Ultimate. When the project becomes open source, I am sure someone will implement the browsing on the display as well. (So note: it is not part of the current hardware and it will not be, but maybe I'll create some sort of adapter PCB for the attachment of the display after some time. I like the idea!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:35 pm 

That sounds good and it would increase the usefulness of the device. Thank you for answering my questions so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:42 am 

Wonder-Boy wrote:

The SX has a handle... :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next