It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:43 am 

gideonz wrote:
I agree. What I will do, is -in time, not now!- select a display and describe on how to attach this display to the Ultimate. When the project becomes open source, I am sure someone will implement the browsing on the display as well. (So note: it is not part of the current hardware and it will not be, but maybe I'll create some sort of adapter PCB for the attachment of the display after some time. I like the idea!)

Just a thought, a clockport header could be used for this sort of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Is there any chance for a Deluxe version with clockport or should I just get it out of my head ? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm 

RaveGuru wrote:
Is there any chance for a Deluxe version with clockport or should I just get it out of my head ? :wink:

Unfortunately I can't put a clock port connector anywhere; there is just no PCB space available for it. However, and maybe that is just as interesting; you could connect a display through the C2N connector, and use a display that works with RS232 (TTL) or I2C? :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:04 am 

gideonz wrote:
Unfortunately I can't put a clock port connector anywhere; there is just no PCB space available for it.

That's a shame, still it was worth hassling you about it. :lol:I'd be happy if it works with a port expander.

gideonz wrote:
However, and maybe that is just as interesting; you could connect a display through the C2N connector, and use a display that works with RS232 (TTL) or I2C? :-)

That is pretty interesting, eslapion mentioned the C2N. Could you please expand on it's implementation? Could it be used for other serial comms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:48 pm 

I saw that there where 2 holes in the print maybe its better to make some (how do you say that in english) feeds ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:11 am 

Gideon will you keep us updated with the progress of the boards when things start to move? It's kinda like being in the hospital waiting room while your wife is in the Labour Ward giving birth :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:21 am 

odo wrote:
I saw that there where 2 holes in the print maybe its better to make some (how do you say that in english) feeds ?
I think you mean "feet", or "stands". Yes, actually they are included in the final product. It makes the whole thing very stable, even without case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:29 am 

Borat wrote:
Gideon will you keep us updated with the progress of the boards when things start to move? It's kinda like being in the hospital waiting room while your wife is in the Labour Ward giving birth :D
Oh Borat; are you serious? :))) I was a lot more excited when my wife was actually in labor! :P

Well, the components were ordered and have arrived already. The first few PCBs are on their way to see if the final layout is correct. I'll solder them by hand next week and test them. When the PCB is correct, the batch run will start. I am currently getting good quotes for the assembly; hopefully the first units will arrive on my desk by the second week of march. By that time, it will be a matter of programming and testing the units and shipping them to each one of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:20 am 

Thanks Gideon ;) Let me know if mine is a boy or a girl :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:41 pm 

Quote:

Thanks Gideon Let me know if mine is a boy or a girl
:lol:
Thanks Gideonz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:38 pm 

gideonz wrote:
The progress is "good"; I did some design changes to optimize the it for production and machine-compatibility (there were some problems with the C128).

I was going to ask the question, is it compatible with the C128. From the above, it seems like it is now, which is excellent news.

I'm quite excited by all of this, it's gotten my geek juices following and might be a reason to get my C128 out of its box again.

It's just amazing that multiple 6510a / 6502 CPUs can be just put on the chip along with all the current and potential features :-o

[update]

Just a quick question, does the cart come with a case? and If I order one now, is it likely that the hardware will change in the near future? I realise most updates can be flashed so I'm hoping not...?

[/update]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:02 pm 

My first message here! Great.

Ok, I thought I should step in because Gideon is very busy with the prototype.

I'm Erno and I am helping Gideon (just a tiny bit) with the software of the device. Also I was happy to be involved with dreaming up the initial ideas when Gideon was in the same office as I was. Anyway I thought I could as well answer some questions.

iain wrote:
I was going to ask the question, is it compatible with the C128. From the above, it seems like it is now, which is excellent news.

Well, the firtst proto was not. The flat 128 and the 128D was incompatible and so were some C64-s. Since Gideon figured out there was a difference between the machines handling of the expansion slot the interface was redesigned and a second board was produced. Gideon assembled the second prototype last week and was able to verify that the C128 problem is ironed out now.

iain wrote:
It's just amazing that multiple 6510a / 6502 CPUs can be just put on the chip along with all the current and potential features :-o

Don't get too much hope for potential on the basic version. Our SRAM is filled almost to the last byte. This is also because we write alot in C.
We are stretching the resources of the 6502 currently.

[update]

iain wrote:
Just a quick question, does the cart come with a case?

No, just a support leg.

iain wrote:
and If I order one now, is it likely that the hardware will change in the near future?

Check with Gideon if the list is full (with verified orders).
No hardware will change in the near future. But I can imagine an updated design in the future with more capacity hardware and perhaps a nic.
For the shorter term I can only foresee soft/firmware updates for the current device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:46 am 

Thanks for the update Erno ;) Nice to hear from someone else involved in the project.

Is there any estimated date for the completion of the first batch? I am so looking forward to getting hold of this :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:39 pm 

Hello,

I am new on the forum.

Congratulation for this project!

I am also impatient to test this Ultimate Drive!

I also hope that it could be compatible with this other excel project: Prophet64 (and MSSIAH) of 8bit Ventures.

So, wait and see, and long life to the C64!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:54 pm 

Greg.0 wrote:
I am also impatient to test this Ultimate Drive!

Please be patient. Currently at least one of us is working on it every evenening. You can't imagine how much more work this kind of thing turns out to be.

Greg.0 wrote:
I also hope that it could be compatible with this other excel project: Prophet64 (and MSSIAH) of 8bit Ventures.

Don't have high hopes for compatibility with other cartridges. The ultimate needs full control of all lines and is not happy to share it. But on this subject you must ask gideon.

Borat wrote:
Is there any estimated date for the completion of the first batch?

Components are pouring in as we 'speak'. The PCB's are on their way so it is to the assemblers then. After that we must have something stable to program into it. That is the part we are still working hard to get. Currently not all intended features work as should. Lucky for us we can update afterwards :D I'm not going to reveil the date we set as we might not make it in time :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next