It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:07 pm 

Oh, sure i will be patient !

I realize the great work you make on this project...

About the use with the Prophet64, thinking of the stand-alone mode of the 1541 Ultimate... Hope this way of use can leave the cart slot free !

Thank doppie1200 for your remark :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:35 am 

doppie1200 wrote:
Please be patient. Currently at least one of us is working on it every evenening. You can't imagine how much more work this kind of thing turns out to be.

Please take the time to get it right. Personally, I'm glad I had the chance to put some money into this worthwhile project. i hope you guys will gain extra skill and confidence for further runs so that everyone can get one of these.

Once it's in the hands of some of the community, there will surely be ideas and refinements, especially if the design is released freely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:28 pm 

Will mmc carts also work ? or is it better to use a SD cart ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:11 am 

Can you make the cartridge "unrepairable" by installing a "bad" firmware? Will it be possible for end users to update the software in the FPGA? Will you release the source code of the 1541 emulator?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 am 

odo wrote:
Will mmc carts also work ? or is it better to use a SD cart ?

Only the SD card is being focussed upon. I dont even have an mmc card to test with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:58 am 

Johey wrote:
Can you make the cartridge "unrepairable" by installing a "bad" firmware? Will it be possible for end users to update the software in the FPGA? Will you release the source code of the 1541 emulator?

The regular 'firmware' is on the SD-card and is in that respect RAM based. You cannot destroy the card or computer with bad firmware.

Only the flash based bootloader could have this risk when being updated. But it is not likely the bootloader will need updating after release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:00 pm 

Stinky wrote:
confidence for further runs so that everyone can get one of these.

Once it's in the hands of some of the community, there will surely be ideas and refinements, especially if the design is released freely.

We sure hope so. There are too many ideas and possibilities to implement. We got to limit features or we will never get the thing produced and functional in a lifetime :wink:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:00 pm 

Greg.0 wrote:
Oh, sure i will be patient !

I realize the great work you make on this project...

About the use with the Prophet64, thinking of the stand-alone mode of the 1541 Ultimate... Hope this way of use can leave the cart slot free !

Thank doppie1200 for your remark :)

As the menu is almost 100% functional the stand alone mode is our next focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:59 pm 

doppie1200 wrote:
There are too many ideas and possibilities to implement. We got to limit features or we will never get the thing produced and functional in a lifetime :wink:.

So there's no chance at all of a clock port? Then it'd be the ultimate cartridge... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:40 am 

MagerValp wrote:
doppie1200 wrote:
There are too many ideas and possibilities to implement. We got to limit features or we will never get the thing produced and functional in a lifetime :wink:.

So there's no chance at all of a clock port? Then it'd be the ultimate cartridge... :)

I'd prefer a socket for an Olimex ethernet module. It certainly would be the ultimate cartridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:11 pm 

gklinger wrote:
I'd prefer a socket for an Olimex ethernet module. It certainly would be the ultimate cartridge.

Except that would render it incompatible with all the software. Limited as the CS8900 might be, it works and it's the de facto standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:10 pm 

MagerValp wrote:
gklinger wrote:

Except that would render it incompatible with all the software. Limited as the CS8900 might be, it works and it's the de facto standard.

The clockport was considered. But since the card is already crowded we could not find a location that would allow you to connect boards in a practicle way.

Besides, the goal is a 1541 emulation cartridge. Thus it is storage oriented. Our view is a clockport has nothing to do on the board. Perhaps a newer revision will support it in the distant future.

What I think is a missed opertunity is the lack of an RTC. It is however, very easy to place that yourself afterwards.

The REU was not even intended. But since this was vhdl only it was included anyways :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Besides, the goal is a 1541 emulation cartridge. Thus it is storage oriented. Our view is a clockport has nothing to do on the board. Perhaps a newer revision will support it in the distant future.

I understand your point, however the REU support already skews that goal :) The problem is that if you want to network your C= today, the only option is the Expansion port. The external option of the 1541u is great and I will use that, however it limits the features of the cart, not to mention the REU option. I do agree that with clockport this would truly be the ultimate cart, the only one you would ever need... for now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:18 pm 

Does 1541 ultimate work if I map $de00-de0f for rr-net inside my c64?

Basically I'd do my own internal "clockport" and connect rr-net to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:09 am 

Will the REU work with apps like GEOS?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next