It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MMC Replay + RR-Net
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:01 am 

The Media Access Control (MAC) address is a property of the Ethernet adapter, in this case RR-Net. It uniquely identifies the NICs in a Local Area Network. Normally the MAC address is set by the manufacturer and stored on the device, but RR-Net has no memory to store it, so it must be set by software every time.

There is an option to set the MAC Address in the MMC Replay configuration. It is 48 bits in length and presented as six bytes. I set mine to TROPYX. :lol: MAC addresses work on the hardware level and are different from the IP address. If you left yours at zero, it may be preventing the card from working.

http://mydarkgothvampiricplace.endofthe ... Commodore/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:14 pm 

rastapojkka wrote:
phu now i'm back.... had to registrer a new account ... the last fucked up..
so marLock is now rastaPojkka

but yes so back to the thing
i have now sent back the card after trying guruterm because of the same problem as with the contiki ... and after trying to set the ip gateway etc my self not working

but what FMan said sounds intresting ... i thought the mac adress was set by automatic of the router
so pls tell me how to set the mac adress right

have you had a look at http://www.c64web.com/contiki.html for more programs also check out http://www.cbm8bit.com/contiki/ for olivers php based configuring program.

What version of contiki are trying to get working and what do you wish to do with it.

Checkout the stand alone programs on c64web.com the email-client, ftp-client and web-server work but the browser is a bit flakey i would use the browser from contiki v1 it works fine.

The Mac address is never set by the router !!, only the ip address is and only then if you are using dhcp.
You should always set the ip for your rrnet and not allow the router to do it as contiki will not work this way.

If your using contiki v2+ then use the the contiki .cfg program on cbm8bit and copy it to your own contiki v2 disk.
If your using contiki v1+ then use the configure program thats part of contiki desktop v1+ :)

Im in a hurry so excuse my rushy post. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:53 pm 

If you want to test the functionality of yor RR-Net I made a program for that a while ago. I just forgot to upload it here :D

Find it here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=435

And make sure to read the readme!

It currently only tests the nic in internal loopback mode, since it was originally conceived to expose timing bugs in the chipselect of various carts ;-)
I am planning on expanding the functionality to also test actual network communication at some point, aswell as Sprite 0 bug detection stuff... but that's not likely to happen anytime soon, as I have grown a bit tired of this project trying to expose Sprite 0 bugs... If anyone knows af a DEAD SURE way of triggering that bug, let me know please!

Anyways, if this prog works as expected, it's very probable that your NIC is in a fully working condition.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:19 pm 

thanks guys ... i now know that my new card works thanks to guruterm .... guruterm is realy nice software but it can take me like 100 times to start it but when it starts it runs perfect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

What happens exactly when it doesn't start?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:16 am 

the letters goes from CAPITAL LETTERS to lower-case and thats it ... then i starts it over and over and over and ... until it starts ... but then it runs nice and smoth .. :D

but i tried this contiki softwares as well(ftp irc browser) with my new config file but it newer starts ... sort of the same problem just that i newer goten them to work ... but i will keep trying ...maby it starts one day ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:03 am 

FMan wrote:
There is an option to set the MAC Address in the MMC Replay configuration. It is 48 bits in length and presented as six bytes. I set mine to TROPYX. :lol:

Here's something neat: If you set the first three bytes of the MAC to 00:80:10 (Commodore's reserved Ethernet block), then programs like WireShark will identify it as a Commodore device! :shock:

So I set mine to 00:80:10:0C:64:01 (and :02, :03, etc.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:35 am 

thanks all for the help ....

but still thugh ... i have not got any contiki internet stuff to work ... :(
i've changed the config.cfg file in the disk.imige with the new one ... i have got this great software where you change the config file on the c64 aswell but still not got it running ...

if i take the contiki-webserver 2 for example ... its 3 difrent freesings i get
1. just all letters goes from BIG to small and stop
2. jumps out to a command line again
3. the screen goes just blue ... (the normal blue bit without text on)

why does guruTerm work with the same settings but not the webserver

the irc client had exactly the same way to frees
but in the last one with the bluescreen it was a blu screen with 3 colurful smal types

:P

the softwares works perfect in the emulator thugh ...
(drivers maby)
(to mutch network trafik)
??

but if some one wants to help me sett the config right
here is my networks for the c64
dns: 195.67.199.12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm 

No experience with this hardware, but know a bit about configuring networks, and seem to recognise some problems from experience with 1541 Ultimate ;)

First i need to know if you are using a HUB or a Router ? Did you have DNS enabled on your router ?
when using a hub, a DNS server is probably not reachable, and therefore maybe the device won't work with contiki.
When you are using a Ethernet Cross-Cable, same problem, no DNS resolving, Contiki won't work.

If you are using a router with DNS (forwarding) support, set your DNS for your Commodore device to the router, not to the GateWay for your ISP ! The router will try to resolve the request locally first, then forward it to it's parent DNS server if configured correctly.

Before using Contiki try to configure it right, and download the entire D64 image, instead of just the CFG.

I advise you to read my 1541 Ultimate Guide regarding Ethernet support, it might very well help you with getting a working setup for your own (non 1541U based) setup.

Do a 'IPCONFIG /ALL' on your PC to get the IP for your PC, NETMASK, and DNS Servers for your NETWORK, and GATEWAY for your PC. If you are using dynamic IP i.c.m. with a router, your GATEWAY and DNS SERVER should beat least identical to the LAN IP of your router. Remember that all MAC ADDRESSES and IP ADRESSES need to be unique on your LAN.

Use the same values of your PC for your C64, but choose a different IP ADDRESS. Be sure that your MAC ADDRESS is unique. IP addresses are LAN based (192.168.x.x , 10.0.0.x, and a third i can't remember), or internet based (all other addresses but the ones mentioned in the before ranges are considered non-lan), but MAC addresses also need to be unique. First a MAC is resolved to an IP ADDRESS, then the IP ADDRESS is used to deliver information. When there are 2 exactly the same MACS reachable from a specific host (local network or internet for that matter), it leads to trouble because a receiving NIC can no longer be uniquely identified.

There are special addresses and reserved masks, keep that in mind.

A common reserved IP address is 127.0.0.1 (local loopback) and any IP address ending of which last digits are 0.
A common network mask is: 255.255.255.0 (for the 192.168.x.x/127.0.0.x networks) and 255.255.0.0. (for the 10.0.0.x network)
Avoid any IP ending in 255 (as it is mostly the broadcast address) and avoid any IP ending in 0 (as it is mostly considered to be the network), and avoid any starting with 127 as it might be the local loopback.

Perhaps this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

mareLock wrote:
here is my networks for the c64
dns: 195.67.199.12

You mean 255.255.255.0 right? 225 wont work :wink:

@ShadowFax: Nice little Tutorial there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:06 pm 

yes im having first the modem then a router then a hub so i supuse its because of that then...

i'll try to connect it to the router straight then and i'll se ... not using crissCable

ips and stuff is all god

but read in a thread that the c64 can have problem to sort the info for it in a hub with mare computers so i thought it was that

the dns should be open guruterm is using the one i mentiond
and 255.-> it is :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

mareLock wrote:
but read in a thread that the c64 can have problem to sort the info for it in a hub with many computers so i thought it was that

This rumour is pretty much groundless since the CS8900 NIC (RR-Net and camerades) is perfectly capable of filtering unwanted traffic on Link level (just like any other NIC). I.e. if you haven't explicitly programmed the NIC to promiscous mode (receive everything) it will only accept frames targeted for its own MAC address and won't get flooded by other traffic. Optionally it can be set to filter Broad/Net/Unicast frames as well. There's also an additional custom filter available.

To verify this I once put Guruterm on a Media test-bench using a 8 port non-switching 100 mbit hub connected to a streaming media server, pumping out MPEG2 streams on broadcast level, completely saturating the link, and there was not one single packet lost in Guruterm. Warpcopy64 worked flawlessly too. Hence this rumour does not comply.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:38 pm 

yhea the guruTerm woks perfect on my network and its allot of computers here so i supose its true what you say

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:08 pm 

RaveGuru wrote:
mareLock wrote:
but read in a thread that the c64 can have problem to sort the info for it in a hub with many computers so i thought it was that

This rumour is pretty much groundless since the CS8900 NIC (RR-Net and camerades) is perfectly capable of filtering unwanted traffic on Link level (just like any other NIC). I.e. if you haven't explicitly programmed the NIC to promiscous mode (receive everything) it will only accept frames targeted for its own MAC address and won't get flooded by other traffic. Optionally it can be set to filter Broad/Net/Unicast frames as well. There's also an additional custom filter available.

To verify this I once put Guruterm on a Media test-bench using a 8 port non-switching 100 mbit hub connected to a streaming media server, pumping out MPEG2 streams on broadcast level, completely saturating the link, and there was not one single packet lost in Guruterm. Warpcopy64 worked flawlessly too. Hence this rumour does not comply.

Duplicated and Verified no problem with missing packet's on Fbnet/RRNet old and new version.

Myth {Busted}

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:26 am 
Site Admin

Maybe we should start doing our own version of Myth Busters - CBM style! :lol: