It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:17 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:07 pm 

have some one done a Swiftlink emulation that works with rr-net ... it would be nice to be able to use all softwares that uses Swiftlink as connection to the net without re whriting them

maby it can be written as a plugin for the mmeR card for saving the ram on the c64 for the softwares ... i supose it need this tcp(ip stack and stuff

:oops: dont know i´m just thinking of so many softwares i founds that uses swiftlink and not rrnet :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

What you actually describes is basically RS232/Telnet bridge. Yes, there are such devices. They used to be quite expensive though, but I guess you could find them cheaply nowadays! Google is your friend! =)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:03 pm 

Or run BBS Server/TCPSer on a $10 PC ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:35 pm 

yhea i supose thats it .... :D

but now i found this new version 4.1 of the ide64 project it has allmost all you whant :D
then i can just connect a usb as a rs232 i think

when it comes to the bbs .... i would love to start one ... but i have mac so i would need retrogradebbs cbbs server that is writen in java but in the download section on his page nothing works ... so if someone knows where to get it i would be so pleased :D

the problem with this old pc computers is when you move around a lots the take mutch space so after a few years of squating in london moving from house to house and now to student in stockholm the last years have been redusing my weight in thing :D so my new kit is a macmini and it's a perfect machine in the aspect of space but i miss a pc with windows some times

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

You should buy an old laptop from some thriftshop for a couple of $10 and use that as a server. The noise and power consumption is minimal and you can put it under your bed :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:08 am 

now i have got a new briliant ide ... but first ... should move my things to stupid qustions .. or maby better lock my acount to just be able to post there :D
:idea:
if i get this ide64 and the cpu64 addon when its done then maby this would be a option .. how small could a modem emulation be

and then i will have my bbs upp and running on my c64 without a pc ... just a litle mod of the real thing :wink: and many other softwares to :roll:

:shock: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Well... i dont think you can emulate a userport modem without extra hardware anyway. Some RS232 signals are fed directly from the userport to the CIA and accessed by read-only registers which the BBS or Terminal program reads. I.e, it's impossible to control these registers by software only. However, I think the Userport has some extra signal output pins not used by the RS232 interface. It would probably be possible to construct a hardware dongle that goes in the userport and takes these "extra" signals and loops them back to the proper RS232 pin. Thus, by controling these lines you would control the RS232 port and could emulate a modem. Interesting! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:34 pm 

I knew the MacGyver kit would come handy one day :P