It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Badmuts wrote:
My experiences with applying a wrong voltage to a circuit is mostly that the circuit is utterly detroyed in micro-seconds. But I must say my experience with a C-64 are limited so who knows.

Don't forget that we're dealing with CMOS technology here. CMOS moves in mysterious ways :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:04 pm 

So it seems :P

If all goes well I'll recieve 5 "new" C64's next saturday. I figure i'm lucky if I find atleast 1 working 100% Keep you posted when something interesting shows up.
(Or if I need advice ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:05 pm 

Bummer :) Only very minor problems. One has a defect powerswitch the other 3 all had problems with one key missing a spring on the keyboard. Added a small spring et voila. 4 working C-64's..

Interesting though the 5th machine turned out not to be a C64, but a vic-20 with a mysterious red push button at the top-left corner. Reset?

Can I use a 64 psu with a vic-20? Think I have some googling to do.. Never had any experience with a vic-20..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, normally. I once had an odd VIC20 with a non "standard" PSU, it was just a black little brick and the connector was different too. Does anyone know about this?

The VIC20 doesn't have a built in RF-modulator but you can use the Composite output using a standard C64 monitor cable (and monitor).

The Cassette drive is also the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:24 pm 

RaveGuru wrote:
Yes, normally. I once had an odd VIC20 with a non "standard" PSU, it was just a black little brick and the connector was different too. Does anyone know about this?

I have one of those, the machine is labelled as a VC 20 and has the black brick with different connector. I got my first Vic 20 from the city dump and had problems with bad picture which got worse when it had been turned on for a while, but the problem disappeared completely when I replaced the psu with one from a c64.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Ah cool.. VC20, wasn't this the early German version? From somewhere I recall that it was renamed to VC in germany since VIC sounds too much like FICK which I believe is the less nicer word for sexual intercourse in german :roll:

Also the phrase "black brick of death" echoes back from the past. Could this have anything to do with this VC brick PSU ?

@Badmuts: Btw, the serial (iec) port is the same as on C64/128 and you can hook up a 1541 since it is backwards compatible with 1540, although the directory listing looks screwed up because the lack of line width :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:17 am 

RaveGuru wrote:
Ah cool.. VC20, wasn't this the early German version? From somewhere I recall that it was renamed to VC in germany since VIC sounds too much like FICK which I believe is the less nicer word for sexual intercourse in german :roll:

Also the phrase "black brick of death" echoes back from the past. Could this have anything to do with this VC brick PSU ?

@Badmuts: Btw, the serial (iec) port is the same as on C64/128 and you can hook up a 1541 since it is backwards compatible with 1540, although the directory listing looks screwed up because the lack of line width :)

I have a lovley 1540 it came with a soft brown cover these must be getting hard to get now.
The curcuit board runs the length of the drive twice the size of a 1541
brown model can you place jiffy dos from a 1541 in it. ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:31 pm 

"The better-known 1541 was mechanically and electronically identical to the 1540 but had a revised ROM that permitted it to work with the C64 by slowing the drive down slightly"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_1540

If thats true I guess you could put in a jiffy rom in the drive, but won't you need a modified vic-20 kernel also? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:58 am 
Site Admin

JiffyDOS for VIC20, now there's a project for 2008!

But relax, JiffyDOS is backwards compatible with stock 1541 so you should be able to run a Jiffyed 1541 on VIC20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:27 am 

RaveGuru wrote:

You're kidding, right?

Quote:
But relax, JiffyDOS is backwards compatible with stock 1541 so you should be able to run a Jiffyed 1541 on VIC20.

Drives with JiffyDOS work just fine with computers that do not have JiffyDOS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:11 pm 

gklinger wrote:
RaveGuru wrote:

You're kidding, right?

Quote:

Drives with JiffyDOS work just fine with computers that do not have JiffyDOS.

The white 1540 and a white 1541 i have internally are totally different the 1540 has a third more components than the 1541.

As they both use the same eprom it want hurt to try. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:54 pm 

M.O.S. said they were never any good at making RAM chips, so the quality control was out of their hands, seems RAM and ROMS are the biggest failures I have seen in most C64's out there, with partially bad CIA chips for the joy ports.

-BBP