It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 3:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:15 pm 

Somewhere in all my moving (I usually move once every 1 to 2 years) I have misplaced my heavy duty power supply that came with my 1764 REU. Without it, I have not been able to plug in and use my SuperCPU and my plethora of carts. So, I've been looking for one and I cannot find anywhere where these things are sold. It doesn't have to be an official Comodore REU heavy duty power supply. It just has to be able to provide the power I'm looking for. Does anyone know where I can find one (or two?)

I'm looking to run these devices together (my old setup from my early college days):

SuperCPU (16MB of RAM)
RAMLink (4MB of RAM)
Super Snapshot
Swiftlink
Ethernet (probably the C64NIC)
CMD HD-100 (170MB drive, soon to be 18GB but only using 4GB of it)
FD-2000
2 1541-II drives

If there is a card that gives USB printer support for the C64 I would want to power that too. I just don't know if any such beast exists. If not, then I'll end up using my parallel port card in the user port and try to see if I can get a parallel-to-USB converter to talk to a printer. Don't know if those are out there either. I know the opposite are out there. The parallel port card takes no power so I wont be worried about that if I go that route.

Ideally, I would like to be able to use the same supply to power them all but that's not necessary right now. I know protovision used to have exactly the supply I wanted, but it was far too expensive for me and I don't see it in the catalog anymore.

Of course, I've also contemplated building my own, but I don't see 9VAC transformers around. I can probably overcome that, but assuming I do, does anyone know what the power output ratings of those Commodore REU power supplies are? If I build one, I want to match or exceed those ratings.

I've thought about using a PC power supply, but the +/- 12V rails aren't enough to give 9VAC. It will only give about 8.5VAC. Plus, the -12V power is usually pretty low on the ampere scale from those things.

The 9VAC gets regulated via 7812 and 7805 ICs to 12VDC and 5VDC power respectively. It also get's modified to 9VDC power although not regulated. The 9VDC is used to drive a datasette motor (which I don't use often) and I don't really care about that so much. Does it do anything else? The 12VDC is used to power the SID so it's necessary.

This makes me think I have two options:

- use a PC power supply and mod the C64
- build my own supply

If I use the PC supply, I could provide the 12V directly to the C64 board. I could also use an adjustable regulator to provide 9V. Of course 5V wont be a problem either. But I still need to generate that 9VAC for a few other things which I could just siphon from an old C64 power supply on the side.

If I build my own (better option in my opinion) I need to figure out the power ratings and find a decent 9VAC transformer that can provide a few amps of juice. I can put a couple of these guys in parallel to give me more 9VAC amps. I would pass-thru some power to the C64 and some of it would get rectified and regulated to 5V before going to the C64. I would use an old C64 power cable ripped off an old supply to connect mine to my C64.

Anyone have any input on this? Any numbers out there about the amps that I will need from the 9VAC and 5VDC sides? With all the carts out there that have cool hardware on them, how do people handle the increased power draw? Are the old power supplies generally good enough for those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:47 am 

a c128 CPU should work as well. as far as I know, the PSU for the REU you talk of is just a c128 CPU with different plug :_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:54 am 

Knoeki wrote:
a c128 CPU should work as well. as far as I know, the PSU for the REU you talk of is just a c128 CPU with different plug :_)

c128 power supplies are the way to go.

on the web server as it runs 24/7-360 i use a c128 power supply just change the end.

With most problems coming from bad or overworked c64 power supplies ie bad ram chips. even just for general use i would recommend using the c128 supply.

Sounds like a great setup :) i am still searching for a SuperCPU 128 if anyone has one to sell or knows of one even its in bad condition or not working. :)

Have Fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:29 am 

I guess I could go that route. But those will be in short supply soon too. I have a few and I can mod one so I'll do that to get this setup up and running. But where do I go when these guys all burn out?

As for the SuperCPU, you can still order them here:

http://store.cmdrkey.com/agora.cgi?product=Hardware

I know I ordered my RAMCard with 16MB from there two and a half years ago. before that, I had no extra RAM in my SuperCPU. So, they were active two and a half years ago and it looks like various info is up to date on their site so they're probably still selling them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:13 am 

eightbits wrote:

http://do-not-waste-your-time.com/

That vendor hasn't shipped anything in quite some time. Unfortunately, he still collected funds from some people. He also accepted hardware for repair and never returned it. Avoid at all cost. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:31 am 

gklinger wrote:
eightbits wrote:

http://do-not-waste-your-time.com/

That vendor hasn't shipped anything in quite some time. Unfortunately, he still collected funds from some people. He also accepted hardware for repair and never returned it. Avoid at all cost. :(

Maybe CMD should move there site to that link it would be fitting them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:36 pm 

Visit http://www.docshardwarekiste.de/

He make new PSU out of PC-PSU, with all kind of connectors to it. I have two of them, and they work really good (especially for use who have alot of CMD devices and stuff).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:48 pm 

Sweet deal. I think this is the guy that made the ones protovision used to sell. Not sure. I'll check it out. But I'm probably going to end up using my C128 power supply as suggested earlier for now. I will definitely see about getting one of those bad boys soon, though.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:44 pm 

Yes he made the ones Protovision used to sell.

@sledge
Are yours noisy? I have one and it is quite noisy. I much prefer a C128 power supply, but then again I don't have any CMD hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:38 pm 

Wonder-Boy wrote:
Yes he made the ones Protovision used to sell.

@sledge
Are yours noisy? I have one and it is quite noisy. I much prefer a C128 power supply, but then again I don't have any CMD hardware.

Well, it's not as quite as it should be. The FAN is blowing more air than needed, but I guess you could easily lower the voltage for the fan (those voltage adapters can be bought at several PC stores).