It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:44 pm 

... (or: how I re-learned C on the 64)

Dear "retrohackers" - since I am none of those "wise old men" who just know how to make their "breadbox" fly, I decided to stick to the kind of "application" that made me happy back then in the 1980s. It's a Commodore 64 program named "microQuestMaker64" (I hope this doesn't cause any copyright infringement). The porgram is incomplete, still under development and its C (as in "cc65") sourcecode will be made available within the next weeks on a seperate website. Still, you can edit "rooms" and "objects" and "test-run" your game. Back then in the 1980s, I probably would have tried to do this thing in BASIC. Today, I do know C and its "friends" a bit, so when I worked myself into cc65, this type of program came to my mind as some kind of "autodidactic-tutorial". I'd like to give special credits to Oliver and RaveGuru for "opening up my eyes" on the matter of native CBM disk access. Thanks a lot, guys!!! ;)

So here it is, the D64 image release of the "microQuestMaker64 v0.1.5.1" ... have fun! :)

Attachments:
File comment: microQuestMaker64 v0.1.5.1 (C64)
mQM64.zip [55.72 KiB]
Downloaded 570 times

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hahah.. that's really cool. Nicely done and all. And the disk routines seem to work fine ;)

Although I must admit I fell victim to the dark hole! Oops... Spoilers! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:26 pm 

RaveGuru wrote:
Hahah.. that's really cool. Nicely done and all. And the disk routines seem to work fine ;)

Although I must admit I fell victim to the dark hole! Oops... Spoilers! :D

Hehe ... :D thank you very much! I really appreciate your commendation!!

At the moment, I'm trying to squeeze the runtime part of the mQM64 app into the Contiki 2.x Telnet server (as a single process, such as "ps" or "kill"). To some extend, it works: you can connect, call "adv" from the Contiki shell and start to walk around and pickup / dop items. The CBM disk access (based on cbm.h) works fine here. But the threading model and my "slight" inexperience with OS hacking and CTK event handling causes terrible timing (mostly screen I/O) problems. Also, if you quit the game, VICE or a native C64 will "JAM" up. But I will also publish these CTK (mQM64 enabled) sourcecode mods on the web (and here) of course.

So stay tuned for more, everybody! I really mean It!! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Ah! I'm sensing the beginning of the very first C64 MUD here :D

Post subject: Sourcecode now online!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:12 pm 

Just for those who are interested: I've put up a website where you will get all the latest infos on this project: http://retro.ufud.org/ - you're welcome!

EDIT: The sourcecode is now available on my website. Check the "downloads" section. The ZIP archive now contains a D64 image and the C sources. Happy hacking! ;)