It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:47 am 
Site Admin

Any news on if/when the Chameleon "Flicker fixer" Superduper-Ultra-Turbo-All-in-one-cart will be available from Individual Computers? Q1 2009 :?

Individual Computers wrote:
Flickerfixer for the C64
On september 13th, we have announced our new product for the C64 at Back In Time Live in Stockholm, Sweden. We have worked on this product for the past two years together with developer Peter Wendrich. The result is an extremely user-friendly cartridge that can be used without opening the computer. It is just plugged to the expansion port of the C64. Technical data in short:

* VGA-output with 60Hz refresh rate or more
* Turbo-function with full 6510-processor compatibility
* cycle-exact REU (memory expansion) with 16MByte ram
* MMC/SD card slot with MMC64 compatibility and 1541-emulation
* connector for PC-keyboard
* built-in help function "the book" with 16MByte flash
* freezer (compatible with Retro Replay)
* bright yellow case with blue buttons

Chameleon will presumably be available in the first quarter of 2009. The price will be about 220,- EUR including German sales tax of 19%.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:40 am 

it's beeing worked on :) jens is trying to push the enduser price below 200euro ... and peter is busy working on the core :) it's all going a bit slower than expected, mostly because jens is also doing some contract work now which is needed to earn some real money (which those c64 projects hardly do).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:29 am 

...but a bright yellow case with blue buttons? - I'm sure the sweedes will appreciate that, while the rest of us go: "hmmm.. well at least the SD card slot has 1541-emulation" ;-)

- on a more serious note, though.. it does have ethernet, right? or at least a clock-port?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:26 pm 

clockport, and most likely similar board design as mmcr (so it still fits into the case)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, what's the deal with the colours? It will look crazy! I'd prefer yellow and red! Local patriotism :lol:

So how's that flickerfixer gonna work? I assume the video signal is taken from the A/V port using a custom breakout cable or something?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:44 pm 

no, not at all :) on the fpga runs an (almost) complete c64, which is synced to the real c64 in realtime. the vga picture comes directly from the fpga.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:08 pm 

Any pictures yet :)

This is going to be a nice project. :) i can feel it in my bones, now if i could just get it into my hands. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:37 pm 

This is one of very few promised hardware addons that I can't wait to get and finally be able to play with it. It all looks very promising and as I am happy user of RR and MMC Replay and I do some hacking with them I will really appreciate new functionality.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:36 pm 

[quote]Any pictures yet[/quote]
only very old stuff... there are some of the old prototype on the c-one webpage i think

other than that... jens is working on the final hardware now :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:05 pm 

http://allt.jonatanforsberg.net/krams/c ... eleon.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:20 pm 

groepaz wrote:
no, not at all :) on the fpga runs an (almost) complete c64, which is synced to the real c64 in realtime. the vga picture comes directly from the fpga.

This brings up the possability of development to have NTSC 64 to run PAL Games with no problems. If you bring everything on the board but just use the SID and a few other chips, as well as the C64 external ports, to get access. You could virtually do away with the timing 50Hz/60Hz issue. Auto-Detect games etc... And it would switch modes... Think of the FPGA board as the main part and the 64 as the cartridge. Hmmmm.... Be tricky... But if you already running almost a complete 64 on the card. Ahhh.. The possibilities...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:35 am 

"which is synced to the real c64 in realtime."

:) no, that wont work. currently chameleon probably wont even work when connected to a real ntsc c64.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

groepaz wrote:

How bizarre! So you have to use a VGA display when using the Chameleon then? So the cart actually controls all the circuits like the CIA's and SID, or are they emulated as well?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:21 pm 

I am sorry, but, wouldn't a s-video to vga coverter work just as good? I have it a 20 inch LCD monitor and it does not look bad and you do not have to worry about it taking up any slot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

mistermsk wrote:
I am sorry, but, wouldn't a s-video to vga coverter work just as good? I have it a 20 inch LCD monitor and it does not look bad and you do not have to worry about it taking up any slot.

Well the Chameleon does a lot more than just VGA output... But what VGA converter are you using? I've been looking for a good (and cheap) one...