It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: RRNet issues?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:18 pm 

I just picked up a RR-Net and RR from Protovision. I got the RR working just fine, but when I hook the RRNET to the RR, Guruterm and Warpcopy tell me it can't find it (it is hooked up correctly and gets a link light). I tried hooking it up straight to my MMC64 card but I get the same results. Is there a step I'm missing here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:40 pm 

hmmm. sounds strange indeed. maybe you're out of luck and got a defective rr-net...?! (hope not)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

GuruTerm should be working fine with both TFR 0.6 ROM and Cyberpunx 3.8. Although a few people have had problems.

If these ROMs fail, I'd suggest you got a faulty RR-net :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:49 pm 

Step 1: Connect RR+RR-Net directly to you c64. Do NOT try to hook it up through the MMC64 until you've verified that it works on it's own.
Step 2: Flash TFR onto your RR.
Step 3: Start codenet from TFR by pressing F6
Step 4: From your PC, ping the C64 and make sure that succeeds without packet loss.

If all is well at this point, you can continue and try hooking it up to the MMC. If you were NOT successful in the test above, try another C64 and/or another Power Supply before considering either unit defective.

Now, I don't know about you networking skills, so do you mind telling us how you configured all the network stuff? (IP on TFR, Windows/linux, switched network or crossed network cable.. stuff like that)

When RR-Net is connected to RR and RR connected to MMC64, you cannot load GuruTerm or WarpCopyClient from the MMC and expect it to work. You have to load that from floppy.
If GuruTerm does not detect you RR-Net when loaded off a floppy, I'd say you have some hardware problem. But like I said, not neccesarily a faulty RR-Net.

oh.. and check out the howtos and whatnots in the Documentation section of this forum.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:00 pm 

Devia wrote:
Step 1: Connect RR+RR-Net directly to you c64. Do NOT try to hook it up through the MMC64 until you've verified that it works on it's own.
Step 2: Flash TFR onto your RR.
Step 3: Start codenet from TFR by pressing F6
Step 4: From your PC, ping the C64 and make sure that succeeds without packet loss.

I tried using the TFR rom on the RR but it had some interesting results. Like, crashing, locking up, not loading, etc :) I'm not sure if it's supposed to work on an NTSC 128D or not.

Devia wrote:
If all is well at this point, you can continue and try hooking it up to the MMC. If you were NOT successful in the test above, try another C64 and/or another Power Supply before considering either unit defective.

I tried this both on a C64C and a 128D - got the same results.

Devia wrote:
Now, I don't know about you networking skills, so do you mind telling us how you configured all the network stuff? (IP on TFR, Windows/linux, switched network or crossed network cable.. stuff like that)

When RR-Net is connected to RR and RR connected to MMC64, you cannot load GuruTerm or WarpCopyClient from the MMC and expect it to work. You have to load that from floppy.
If GuruTerm does not detect you RR-Net when loaded off a floppy, I'd say you have some hardware problem. But like I said, not neccesarily a faulty RR-Net.

I'm a Systems Admin for a large corporation, so I'm sure I got it networked right :) It's hooked via straight Cat5 to a switch. I tried loading Guruterm and WarpCopy off a standard 41 floppy which is when I got that error that it's not found regardless if it's hooked to a RR or MMC. I'll give TFR ROM another shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:02 am 

The RR cart is picky. According to Jens from Individual Computers there is a little ground noise in the C128 and C128d's which is not in the C64 & C64c's. That is why sometimes the RR cart will not in the C128's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:28 am 
Site Admin

Hey, you're on a NTSC machine so you gotta make sure you're using a NTSC ROM. Currently I don't think there's a NTSC version of TFR ROM ( :?: ) but Cyberpunx 3.8 NTSC ROM should work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:24 am 

??!? you won't need any ROM at all. The RR-Net should work fine even if the RR is in Flash-Mode - that's what I do when testing things out or programming. So set your RR in Flashmode and try out Guruterm or some other software checking/ using the RR-Net...
If you know hot to program in asembler you might want to write a little presence check routine by yourself something like:

Code:
lda #$41  ;enable acceory connector on RetroReplay Cartridge
sta $de01
lda #0
sta $de02 ;packet page pointer lo
sta $de03 ;packet page pointer hi
ldx $de04 ;read from packet page data lo
ldy $de05 ;and packet page data hi
cpx #$0e
bne notfound
cpy #$63
bne notfound
lda #5
sta $d020
rts
notfound: lda #2
sta $d020
rts

this chekcs for presence of the cs8900a chip...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:06 pm 

icbrkr wrote:
I tried using the TFR rom on the RR but it had some interesting results. Like, crashing, locking up, not loading, etc :) I'm not sure if it's supposed to work on an NTSC 128D or not.

I don't know about NTSC and TFR, but I'd suspect that only the Disk routines would cause trouble. Can anyone verify this?

Edit: TFR's idle loop runs at $DExx btw, which of course will make it crash if the chip select/bank switching thing is fuxx0red (i.e. bad clock). This is actually a good thing, as you can use this as an indicator of wheter or not it "ought to" work on your machine.

icbrkr wrote:
I'm a Systems Admin for a large corporation, so I'm sure I got it networked right :)

Well, you never know with c64 people so I had to ask ;-)

As an NTSC user, don't you mean 128DCR rather than 128D? The DCR is with a metal casing and the D is 100% plastic. The DCR should work with RR+RR-Net according to what I hear from people, but as someone else suggested, some of the D models and the flat 128s have trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:47 pm 

Yep, it's a DCR, but most of us over here call it a "D".

I tried putting the RR in flash mode and running the RRNet on my C64C - same thing when I fire up Guru or Warpcopy - Unable to find RRNet. I sent an email to Protovision requesting an exchange. Let's see how this works out. I also see it looks like I picked up the last one because now it says "out of stock" :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

True, no ROM needed to use the RR-net of course. I was refering to the loading and lockup problem. Sorry for being all fuzzed up :)

Question is whether the RR-net or RR cart is broken... or both? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:07 pm 

icbrkr wrote:
I also see it looks like I picked up the last one because now it says "out of stock" :/

I am not sure about Protovision but I am out of stock. Jens from Individual Computers has to make a production run. Everything now has to be RoHS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

*bump*

Any light shed on this issue yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:24 pm 

It's sent back to Jens at this point, I'm waiting for an answer from him to see what next.