It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:15 pm 

hi all!
i didn't do anything with Network on c64 for a while and now i wanted to get back a bit, so i started with a small polling routine, which should initialize the rr-net, poll for incoming packets and print the number of bytes recieved to stdout. nothing special.
it doesn't work though i cross-ref'ed all my old sources, other sources, specs, readmes, howtos, faqs etc.
the code responses to incoming pings but it always reports a length of 4 and the bytes that are read are always: 0 4 0 4 0 4....... so reading $de04/$de05 always gives $0004, no matter what kind of frame i throw onto it.
first i thought, maybe its the hardware, since i use a c128d in the meantime and haven't used rr-net on it yet. but codenet for example works well on the c128 in c64 mode.
i even tested the code on my old c64 and got the same result. i connected the rr-net to RR and to MMC64 - same results.
then the error must be in my code, but i can't find it.
i tried, ASM, BASIC, C.... Versions of each time the same kind of code which does:

initialise RR: $de01 |= 1
read magic word: write 0 to $de02/$de03, then read $de04/$de05 (redas $630e, correctly)
read revision: write $0002 to $de02/$de03, read $de04/$de05 (reads $0900 correctly)
init cs8900a:
set page $114 to $55
set page $104 to $d05
set pages $158-$15d to mac address
set page $112 to $d3

then poll by doing...
write $124 to $de02/ $de03
if (0xde05 & 0x0d)
read status (yes, i DO read the hibyte first...!) from $de05/ $de04
read length (yes, i DO read the hibyte first...!) from $de05/ $de04

read data from $de04/ $de05...

what the hell am i doing wrong....????! or what is missing, i really don't get it.

(it doesn't have anything to do that i have connected to a router in the meantime, hasn't it....???! codenet works "throgh" the router...)

thanks a lot in advance for getting me going again....!

Ah and another question: there are very rare info about running rr-net on c128 mode; but i read some hints that there would be problems or just with the 2MHz mode. is there anyone who can tell me if the rr-net does work in c128 mode or not or have any more info about this...?!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:32 pm 

hannenz wrote:
first i thought, maybe its the hardware, since i use a c128d in the meantime and haven't used rr-net on it yet. but codenet for example works well on the c128 in c64 mode.

I (and other people) have had problem with c128d + rr-net , but for me it didnt work in c64 mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:05 pm 

ok, guys, as always: 5 minutes after asking for help, i got the error - and of course it was something plain stupid: i read $de04/$05 instead of $de08/$09 for reading the data....... now it works - of course ;)
@hollowman: what kind of problems...?!
rr-net seems to work good in c64 mode on my c128d but i want to know if there are problems on running it in native c128 mode.