It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:02 am 

gklinger wrote:
When I said compatibility I was mostly thinking about software that reprograms the drive. A net-based drive via an IEC-based ethernet device wouldn't work with an awful lot of games unless it was able to full emulate a 1541.

Or, we re-implement those fastloaders in the sd2iec firmware. Implementing some of the more prevalent ones is a goal for the project.

I still see advantages of an IEC-based unit over a cart/user port solution. While fastloader support is an issue for all three options, an IEC-based unit doesn't take a port hostage or require any memory locations/CIA lines for it's use.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:57 pm 

Sounds perfect Jim!.

So can I buy one yet??

Where do I send my $$$'s !! :)

.-.-.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:53 am 

The IEC to Ethernet adapter is my idea. I would have posted here sooner but I didn't know this forum existed.

Progress has been glacial at best due to my suboptimal mental state. I can't afford the meds that let me think properly, being forced by my HMO to settle for something a lot cheaper and less effective; so I can't hold the whole project in my head at once, which in turn means I have a terrible time trying to figure out what I'm doing on any given part of it.

If anyone wants to help with it I'd be grateful. Basically I just need someone I can bounce ideas off of at high frequency. Jim Brain has been great about helping, but he's got a lot of other projects to worry about and I don't want to be bothering him all the time. (It'd've been OK if only our rates of progress were fewer orders of magnitude apart.)

It should be pretty cheap to make. How cheap is a bit of a mystery to me though. How cheaply can a lot of around 50 PCBs with not much on them be made? basically the only components to be soldered on would be two jumper post blocks, a PLA or microcontroller, and a power connector. (Maybe a despiking capacitor and a clock crystal too, depending on the needs of the design.) One jumper post block would plug into the µIEC board, the other to the Ethernet assembly. Jim found some good ones -- see http://www.wiznet.co.kr/en/ for more details. I'm thinking it should be possible to sell a finished product for US$40 or so, maybe less.

I welcome any and all feedback on this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:26 pm 

Hi,

This is a fantastic idea!. You really should try and move forward on this.

Adding Ethernet to the IEC project is a wonderful idea!.

Sorry to hear about your expensive Med's situation. Perhaps you could try smoking some bud's instead as a cheaper alternative? :)

.-.-.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:45 am 

I read about the 1st page in here.

I think this would be super for Jim to make! I use a RS232 to tcpser on a linux box. That work very good and if you can cut out the linux box it would be good and it seems like Jim is the one that could make this real.

It be neat to make a board with a user port and ethernet on the other end that you could use the case from a commodore 1650/1660 modem and just put the new RS232 to tcpser board in it. Maybe have to carve out the phone port a little to fit the Ethernet port.

So not the phone line but Ethernet line. This sound like what Jim wants to do when he has time. I hope he can make it. I am sure a lot would get out there 64's then because it be so easy to get on like Q-Link reloaded then with a readl 64/128. On other BBS's they have running on commodores now. I know it works because I do it with a RS232 and tcpser.

Now that Jim all most is done with the 64nic it seems like he did all that's needs to be done to make this. RS232 + 64nic + tcpser = UserPortNic if that would be a good name for something like this? Or C=64nip for Commodore 64 network interface port.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:08 am 

If anyone is still interested, my bumbling efforts towards the direction outlined in these posts have now been superseded. The Vancouver, WA-based “Commodore Computer Club” (apparently no relation to the similarly named group in the UK) have produced a device that interfaces via the IEC bus, has several floppies’ worth of nonvolatile storage on board and uses a Wiznet assembly to talk IP over Ethernet. While I had a few minor features in mind which I wanted my version to have that theirs does not, said features are of insufficient value to warrant my duplicating their effort. My apologies for wasting your time with what has turned out to be vapourware. Go bug the CCC guys for more info on their device.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:54 am 

Wow, This is great!

So does this mean I can finally plug one of these things into my Vic-Switch and share ethernet connectivity across all the commodore machines?

Vic-20, C64, C16, C128 and so on?
Can you post some url's here please as to where we can see this amazing device?

.-.-.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:30 pm 

Huh. I went to look and they have not updated their website to reflect their progress. The prototype device was demonstrated at their meeting at the beginning of December, and I understand from speaking with the primary inventors a few weeks ago that they are preparing to enter production. I will try to get them to post some details here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:36 pm 

I would be interested as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:49 am 
Site Admin

There is a new brach regarding the Flyer Internet Modem here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=641