It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:38 pm 

I love Guruterm and CGTerm, but they work in 40 column mode in PETSCII only. Try to telnet to non-Commodore BBSes and the text appears garbled (with upper and lower case appearing in reverse). It's good enough for now, but...

Is there an 80 column telnet program for the C64? I'm looking for something like NovaTerm -- supports standard ASCII, terminal screen codes, IBM special characters but works with RR-net instead of a modem.

How hard would it be to take the source code for NovaTerm 9.6:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... index.html

And make the changes necessary to make it work with RR-net?

I confess, my ML programming skillz are a slight level above beginner (but I am improving here in this area--I'm in the middle of programming my first 100% 6502 ML game) but this is something that I'm willing to do myself.

I have cc65, ca65 and ld65 set up on my Linux PC. Should that be enough to be able to modify and compile the source code for NovaTerm 9.6?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:04 pm 

Novaterm uses "Drivers" - in theory, you could make an RR-Net "driver" and not have to change the rest of the program. That would be very cool. (I wouldn't know where to start, unfortunately).

I'm curious, how do you connect to non-Commodore BBSes with GuruTerm or CGTerm? They aren't real Telnet clients, so I wouldn't have expected them to work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:15 pm 

Schema wrote:
Novaterm uses "Drivers" - in theory, you could make an RR-Net "driver" and not have to change the rest of the program. That would be very cool. (I wouldn't know where to start, unfortunately).

I'm curious, how do you connect to non-Commodore BBSes with GuruTerm or CGTerm? They aren't real Telnet clients, so I wouldn't have expected them to work.

If you connect to nickandre.com with Guruterm, you will see what I mean. You 'connect' but the text is garbled on the screen. If Novaterm could telnet in the same manner as Guruterm, it would be able to interpret the special codes, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Admin

You can infact use GuruTerm as a TELNET ASCII terminal, although you need to substitute all control characters such as ENTER and BACKSPACE with CTRL+[A..Z] where A..Z maps to a ASCII symbol, A=$01, B=$02 .. and so on. To "emulate" ENTER , hit CTRL+J (ASCII $0A [LineFeed]) or CTRL+M (ASCII $0D [C/R]). BACKSPACE would be CTRL+H, etc. Fire up your local ASCII table for further assistance :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:37 pm 

Hmmm, I tried using GuruTerm to connect to my Linux box way back when, and it froze up. I had assumed the IAC handshaking was giving up. Might be worth trying again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:03 am 
Site Admin

I've used it with several servers, although i've noticed that sometimes it takes long time to connect for some reason, but that's on TCP level and not Telnet/IAC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:53 pm 

I used Guru Term at 80 chrs. I have a small program I found to make my computer go to 80 columns. Then I load Guru Term. Works fine. I logged onto BBSs and everything. Only thing is it 'really' looks bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:32 pm 

mistermsk wrote:
I used Guru Term at 80 chrs. I have a small program I found to make my computer go to 80 columns. Then I load Guru Term. Works fine. I logged onto BBSs and everything. Only thing is it 'really' looks bad.

There are so many reasons that this shouldn't work I don't even know where to begin. Could you post a screenshot?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:52 pm 

I will post it tonight when I get home. However, if you want to do it earlier, here are the steps I took.

Need:
- Commodore (with monitor and 1541)
- MMC Replay with a RR-Net card and a network connection as well as a SD Card that can be read by the MMC Replay.
- 80 Column Program from Zimmer's site http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/c64/utilities/index.html
- Latest Guru Term

Prepwork:
Put Guru Term on a floppy and put it in your 1541.
Put 80 column program unto the SD card and put it in the MMC Replay
Plug in the MMC Replay and hook up the network cable
Make sure the MMC replay is at ver. 0.54. (0.55 does not seem to work).

Time to get it to work:
-Load the 80 column program up using the existing MMC Replay's file manager. It will dump you to the ready prompt.
-Load Guru Term off of disk and run it.

You should now have Guru term working in 80 column mode.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:42 am 

I attached the picture as requested.

Attachments:
File comment: 80 Column GuruTerm
P1040019.JPG [1.82 MiB]
Downloaded 58 times

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:32 am 

I have a couple of other 80 column programs so I did some quick testing with an emulator. GuruTerm wouldn't load with one activated but it appeared to work with the 80 column program by Greg Peele and Kevin Martin. Tomorrow I'll conduct a more thorough test on real hardware to see if it works works. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys! I'm currently in Indonesia on a GPRS connection so my visits to the forum will be very sporadical during the next month or so.

Cool! I thought everybody knew about this 80 col trick already :mrgreen:

Honestly, no, I never thought of it :roll: but I can tell you the reason why this works. It is because GT uses standard Kernel calls to write to the screen (why... I dont know. I guess I had memory preservation in mind.. or plain lazyness. Why reinvent the wheel? :) ). Since $ffd2 is just a vector, as long as the 80 col programs just point it to their custom output routine and place it high enough in RAM to not collide with GT, it will work. However, I didn't have 80 cols in mind when i wrote the code, so menus and stuff probably look bad. I'm quite surprised it works though since 80 cols requires a hi-res bitmap which takes 8000 bytes RAM alone, plus the code. Unless they do really clever things with char mapping. Hmm.. Well, I guess this opens the door for PC style telnet apps. Now, where's that IAC emulation :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:51 am 

Thanks for posting the 80 column guruterm trick.

However, this solution provides a black background with cyan foreground which is un-readable in 80 column mode.

I modified Guru Term as follows (after it is loaded):

POKE 11553,238
POKE 11554,33
POKE 12567,144

(save this modified Guru Term to disk after making these changes so that you don't have to type these commands in over and over again)

This makes Guru Term run with a white background with a black foreground which reads far more easily in 80 column mode.

I hope somebody will find this useful!

Last edited by CadorBolin on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:56 am 

duplicate post (please remove)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:00 pm 

I also modified Guru Term so that it will convert ASCII to PETSCII so that upper and lower case do not get mixed up when connecting via telnet to non-Commodore BBSes:

If anyone is interested in my modified Guru Term, let me know and I'll upload it.