It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:33 pm 

Hello everybody,

zap reminded me of my promise (thanks, pal! ;) ) and so here it is, the source code for my little, experimental BBS called "ContikiBBS" plus a neat little setup program and a BBS-worthy color scheme.

--> click link <--

The .tar.gz archive contains all the sources you need. Just unpack them into your contiki-2.x source folder. In the "examples" directory you'll find a new project called "bbs-server". Enter that directory, (on a Unix/Linux system) type "make TARGET=c64" and enjoy. You may also want to start the program directly from the included "ctkbbs.d64" image. There is a program called "bbs-setup" on that disk, use it to set up the correct driver and IP configuration for ctkbbs. You may also initialize the bbs datafiles with this tool.

There is one new command: "/PAGE" which allows the user to enter five lines of text that will be written to the C64s screen. While a user is typing a message, the screen border will change from green to red.

Also, there is now a timer that will log you out after five minutes of inactivity.

For the next two days I'm gonna have my C64 up and running, so you may want to try ctkbbs by typing:

telnet wintermute.homeunix.com 2323

in a terminal.

zap wrote:
I only wish i could help in some way.

You can, in fact everybody who is interested in writing code to expand, fix and take this little example to the next stage (a fully working, telnet enabled, single-user BBS for stock C64s with an ethernet adapter) is invited and strongly encouraged to do whatever it is you can do. Here are some ideas / issues I face at the current stage of development:

0.) Development Environment - Um, I *have* to use contiki 2.2.1 or otherwise I get compile errors. Has anyone gotten to compile a more recent version of ContikiOS? Still, as long as my code compiles in your environment, this shouldn't bother me too much at the moment.
EDIT: RESOLVED! cc65-2.13.0 and ContikiOS 2.4 compile very well, no more problems!

1.) Files - I use REL files for storing data, with each record being 256 byte long. At the moment this is the maximum number of bytes per record. If anyone has any idea or C (cc65) code that will allow better data handling and larger record sizes, I'd really appreciate it if you could try to put that code into use with ctkbbs.

2.) Login - Yes, it's a single-node or single-user BBS which means that only one person can log in at a time. So why bother with a login procedure? Because a) it's quite nifty to have a user id / name and password to log on and b) it offers at least a tiny little piece of security to the system. If someone thinks this is something he/she can help implement, feel free to do so.
EDIT (April 10th, 2010): RESOLVED (almost)! You can now create simple user accounts and have to use them in a very simple login procedure.
Passwords will not be hidden, so be careful when trying out!

3.) Z-Modem file transfer - Would be nice to add that to the program as well. But this is one point I don't have any knowledge about.

3.) Multitherading - we all know that ContikiOS is capable of multiple threads. This could lead to better performance and maybe someone is even wise enough to make ctkbbs multi-user capable. But this is not my main focus at the time. But if you are experienced enough, I'm the last person to keep you from doing so. I just don't have the knowledge and the time to dig deeper into this.

That said, I hope you can forgive me for taking so long to get this thing out to you. Feel free to comment and experiment, have fun!

lodger

Last edited by lodger on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:11 pm 

Hello once again,

I've taken some time during the past few days and eventually added some useful new features to the "kitten" (as RaveGuru called it). You can find the updated sourcecode, changelog and D64 image here in the file section (click me!). Things are looking quite promising after the latest code-review (rainy weekend :D) so I decided to give the thing a neat name and as long as no one objects to it, the "kitten" will be called "Contiki BBS".

Please let me know, if you have any problems getting the new version up and running.
Have fun, people!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:49 am 
Site Admin

*thumbs up*

This is excellent stuff! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:56 pm 

That's fantastic i have Wednesday off and will setup it up and leave it online to try.
Dame if it ain't too late tonight and i have a big day tomorrow, maybe tomorrow night
if i get home early enough. :)

enjoy and thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:16 pm 

Thanks, people!

Just for your information: I've just replaced version 0.2 with version 0.2.1 which fixes some bugs, makes the timeout counter work during login, the boards now "round-rob" (if max. # of messages is reached, the board starts again with message #1) and there's now 6 lines with 40 characters per line for each message. No new features, but the program works a little better now. Also, I've saved some blocks on the disk by not using a SEQ file for the user index file. It's now a REL file (eliminating the now useless SEQ file code).

EDIT (2010/04/16): zap reported problems with "bbs-setup" causing drive errors (status LED blinking) when writing the bbs.cfg file - please report here if something like this happens with your setup (both: emulator or real gear) as well!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:31 am 

It's been a real roller-coaster here. I have tomorrow off will give it ago.

Must check my email settings did not get your PM.

Got SQL error on this board when answering your PM. Gremlins are abound.

:EDIT
That worked it's only in PM the error.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:19 pm 

Hi folks, I'm back again!

To those of you who might be expecting a new release of ContikiBBS, I'm sorry: there's no new version *yet* - but I'm preparing for some decent coding in September, so don't be too disappointed. ;)

I've set up a VICE emulator on my Linux webserver so now you people can visit a permanently runnig version of ContikiBBS anytime you want. Just telnet to the following URL: wintermute.homeunix.com, TCP Port: 64 (of course!) - just use "guest" as username and "guest" as password. Also, feel free to leave a short comment if you like to but remember: only use lowercase letters as the PETSCII conversion otherwise causes weird UTF-8 characters to be displayed. Also, if you get disconnected immediately after connecting this may be due to some other user already being logged in (ContikiBBS is single-user only at the moment). If this happens, try to call again later.

Unlike the last time when I set up ContikiBBS, this instance of the BBS is supposed to be running 24/7 everyday! :)

Greetings,
lodger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:25 am 
Site Admin

Works great!! Good job indeed! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:45 pm 

nice one!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:02 pm 

Any new progress in Contiki BBS yet?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:47 pm 

sledge wrote:
Any new progress in Contiki BBS yet?

Well, Oliver (Schmidt) of "Contiki Projects" invited me to add my sourcecode to his Sourceforge project repository (contikiprojects.sourceforge.net). So at the moment (if I have the time) I'm working on putting everything into the directory structure he is using for his rpository and make it build again. If this is finished, I'll have Oliver look over the works and wait for his approval in order to check in my sourcecode.

As for features: for a short time I tried to use CFS in order to make the code more portable. Unfortunately, CBM hardware (C1541 floppy drive) does not support ioseek, thus if I want to use some kind of random access for all data files, it looks like I'll have to stick to CBM routines again. Also, I thought of integrating the runtime engine of my microQuestMaker64 to the program so that you can create and play little games online.

There will be a new release until the end of this year, but I really can't tell you if this will be tomorrow, by the end of this month or after x-mas. Just don't worry: I'm still working on that stuff ... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:19 pm 

Sounds like a good idea, and keep us informed when things start to roll again :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:58 am 

Any news on contiki bbs.
I can't code but can i help in another way.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:05 am 

At the moment I am in email contact with Oliver, working on an issue with the Contiki OS shell. If we can find a solution for that issue, Contiki BBS may eventually turn into a (shell) process based system. Which means that it would be integrating more seamlessly into the whole Contiki OS framework, just like I intended it to in the first place. Anyway, if all efforts fail I'll have to stick to the current, "custom" shell. The Idea of integrating the microQuestMaker 64 runtime engine is also still on the map. Stay tuned!

Post subject: Status Update!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:48 pm 

To those wondering if 'em ContikiBBS fellas from germany are still up to it: yes we are!

Today (wednesday, april 13th) I got word from Oliver Schmidt that he has located and eleminated the bug that prevented me from writing a process based version of the ContikiBBS shell. This is good news as it will bring the ContikiBBS codebase closer to ContikiOS, making coding more efficient and easier. Which may, in turn, lead to better portabilty of the program to other 8 bit legends besides the Commodore 64. The downside of this is that I will have (and am determined to) review all of the exsisting codebase and rewrite it as process based code. Don't worry, though: the next version of ContikiBBS will be released long before "Duke Nuke'em Forever" hits the shelves! I promise!!

Hope to have something more "executable" to play with for you soon,
lodger

Last edited by lodger on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next