It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Oliver wrote:
In a one-application-only (here: Telnet), one-session-only scenario with very specific requirements (here: cooperation with BASIC) pure oldschool uIP might be preferable to Contiki. However it's important to go for the current uIP that resides in the Contiki codebase and retrofit that to standalone usage.

That's what I did with GuruTerm. I took uIP (think it was v0.9 at that time) from Contiki and adapted it for stand alone usage. Also had to rewrite the DNS Resolver and DHCP client for standalone usage. Was not too hard though! You will however be forced back to the world of state machine / status flag hell. That's what put me off with the GT development. Once you want to start implementing some more advance functionality - not to mention a user interface - you're on a paved road to the afore mentioned hell. That's why Contiki2 looks so appealing with it's process and event driven framework. But, yes - IIRC I got the entire network code portion down to ~15 kb including the DHCP, resolver and the RR-net driver.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:17 pm 

Hi,

RaveGuru wrote:
Also had to rewrite the DNS Resolver and DHCP client for standalone usage. Was not too hard though!.
I forgot to mention that - thanks for pointing out!

RaveGuru wrote:
You will however be forced back to the world of state machine / status flag hell. That's what put me off with the GT development. Once you want to start implementing some more advance functionality - not to mention a user interface - you're on a paved road to the afore mentioned hell.
Again full ACK. Therefore my advice "only for specific environments with limited functionality" ...

RaveGuru wrote:
That's why Contiki2 looks so appealing with it's process and event driven framework. But, yes - IIRC I got the entire network code portion down to ~15 kb including the DHCP, resolver and the RR-net driver.
That's roughly what I'd guess. Depends on things like do I count in the cc65 C library / runtime stuff needed by uIP or not...

Regards,
Oliver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:33 pm 

Cold winter, dark evenings and ... a short notice to all you fine people here at retrohackers.com: ContikiBBS 2.5.1 is due to be released throughout this weekend. This is just a minor bugfix release eliminating the "line input / only last line written" bug reported by RaveGuru and other visitors. I've also changed the line editor header to display max. lines / cols. possible for input. The fix for the bug mentioned above has already been checked in into the contikiprojects svn repo. A new 2.5.1 D64 image will follow shortly.

P.S.: yes, plans for version 2.6 are cooking. Also, for you developers out there, a quick startup guide (as requested by Oliver) is in the making. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:32 am 

lodger wrote:
Also, for you developers out there, a quick startup guide (as requested by Oliver) is in the making. Stay tuned!

:D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:08 am 

Great news and i have the weekend off :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:23 pm 

The new ctkbbs0251.zip file containing a D64 disk image can now be found in the Network Files section of this forum. Also, as of now, a quick startup guide is included in the ZIP file and has also been checked in into the SVN repo. Let me know your comments, especially regarding the documentation. Have a nice weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:39 pm 

Hello everybody,
yes, I'm still alive - as is ContikiBBS: a new year, a new release of ContikiBBS!

I've just checked in the sources for version 0.2.6 so everyone who's interested can now pull the changes from the Contiki Projects SVN repository. Those who prefer a finished .D64 image can find this new release in the files section of this forum.

What's new in this release?

* added bbs_banner() function and three default banners:

1. login.txt the contents of this file will be displayed at login
2. menu.txt the contents of this file will be shown once after successful logn
3. logout.txt the contents of this file will be shown at logout before termination of the connection

all of these files can be edited manually on a PC in order to allow some customization. In true Commodore 64 fashion, I've decided to go with a 40 column width by default.

I'm open for suggestions to implement further banners, so feel free to post your wishes here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:07 am 
Site Admin

Hey Lodger! Good to see that Contiki BBS is alive and kicking!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:56 am 

RaveGuru wrote:
Good to see that Contiki BBS is alive and kicking!

You said it!

Regards,
Oliver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:07 am 

Oliver wrote:
RaveGuru wrote:
Good to see that Contiki BBS is alive and kicking!

You said it!

Thanks people!

Further development is already being planned on. Right now I have the basic parts of the BBS together. What's missing is a personal messaging system. This is planned and a must-have on my list. Currently, I'm looking how to make the input handling code for posting messages a bit more flexible. Also, I'm looking for ways to make REL files and messages > 256 bytes of length work somehow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7