It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:50 pm 

mistermsk wrote:
I got the PRG of it. Kipperterm is great. However, when I go in PETSCII, it doesn't seem to recognize the commands. I tried bbs.jammingsignal.com and wizbbs.dyndns.org. Jamming Signal does not understand 1 or 2 when asked to select. Wiz BBS does not recognize the backspace. However, when I go in VT100, it all seems to work.

I think I've fixed it - there's new build (1.0.28) on sourceforge now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 pm 

Ohhh my the prg is there ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:50 am 

jonnosan,

Getting close. I can now enter PETSCII. Wow, better the Guruterm.

On the transfers,

I was successful downloading in VT100. When I tried uploading in VT100, it kept on trying to resend $01. Then errors. On PETSCII, it just returns error 95 a whole bunch of times.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:41 am 

mistermsk wrote:
jonnosan,

I was successful downloading in VT100. When I tried uploading in VT100, it kept on trying to resend $01. Then errors. On PETSCII, it just returns error 95 a whole bunch of times.

What server or BBS are you attempting the transfer with?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:07 pm 

ok i'm off to cyberspace ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:28 pm 

jonnosan wrote:
What server or BBS are you attempting the transfer with?

I tired bbs.jammingsignal.com, which is probably not good since we do not know if it is the network to serial conversion causing an issue. So I quickly put up a new Windows bbs on my home network. Tried from a windows telnet program (on a different computer) and it worked flawlessly. When I tried with the VT-100 using yours (multiple times) it errored on $01 showed errors all the way to $08 and then resent $01 again and said it completed. On the BBS program it said 'not sent'. Tried back on the windows program and it worked flawlessly again. Luckly I have 5 or 6 windows PCs/laptops I can choice from to get this working on. The BBS software I used was Synchronet BBS. Only problem is that it is a 80 column bbs and took a bit to get use to on the 40 column 64. Luckly I could mirror commands from another computer (logged in as someone else) to get to the upload point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:42 pm 

Is it possible I could connect to that BBS and test it?
Alternatively (or as well) can you send a screen shot of KipperTerm at the end of the transfer (so I can see the error codes)?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:46 pm 

When I get home, I'll get it set up where you can log in. Please note I would try with both a 80 column display and 40 so you can move around. :)

I looked at XModem Wiki and it says that when a file is complete it sends a EOT character after the last block.

Quote:
The file was marked "complete" with a <EOT> character sent after the last block. This packet was not in a block, but sent alone as a single character. Since the file length was not sent as part of the protocol, the last packet was padded out with a "known character" that could be dropped. In the original specification this defaulted to <SUB> or 26 decimal, which CP/M used as the end-of-file marker inside its own disk format. The standard suggested any character could be used for padding, but there was no way for it to be changed within the protocol itself – if an implementation changed the padding character, only clients using the same implementation would correctly interpret the new padding character.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:27 pm 

Cheers

BTW when KipperTerm said it was completed, was the file actually saved on your local disk?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:07 am 

ovaloffice.no-ip.org is the test BBS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:47 am 

thanks for setting that up.
I logged on and played around a bit (btw the 'dos shell' style is actually usable in 40 columns)
What I discovered is:

1) when you do an XMODEM upload (KipperTerm sending to Synchronet), Synchronet starts by trying to use the CRC variant of XMODEM (KipperTerm only implements the basic XMODEM protocol which has a 1 byte checksum after each block, not a 2 byte CRC). But after a while (10 seconds or so) Synchronet falls back to standard XMODEM, and so the upload completed (there should be a file called 'test.prg' in your misc files section).

2) when you do an XMODEM download (Synchronet sending to KipperTerm), Synchronet starts by using the "1k block" variant of XMODEM (KipperTerm only implements the basic XMODEM protocol which uses 128 byte blocks). Theoretically (at least, according to Wikipedia), XMODEM-1K should fall back to basic XMODEM, but this version doesn't seem to - I had a look at the synchro source code at http://www.synchro.net/, particularly the xmodem_send_file routine in xmodem.c, and couldn't find any code where it tries to fall back to 128 byte blocks).

Not sure what to do with this. Currently I only have 40 bytes spare in the KipperTerm cartridge, which I don't think will be enough to implement XMODEM-1K in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:58 pm 

PS - From reading http://synchro.net/docs/sexyz.txt, it looks like synchronet can be configured not to use CRC mode or 1K blocks. That would make it work with KipperTerm I think.

If you edit the XMODEM config (according to the above doc it's at SCFG:File Options->Transfer Protocols)
and change
4: Upload Command Line %!sexyz%. %h -%p rC %f
to
4: Upload Command Line %!sexyz%. %h -%p rx %f

that will stop it using CRC, and if you change
5: Download Command Line %!sexyz%. %h -%p sX %f
to
5: Download Command Line %!sexyz%. %h -%p sx %f

Also, it looks like it looks like the current build of Synchronet has correct behaviour in falling back to 128 byte blocks - see the comment for version 1.29 of http://cvs.synchro.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs. ... 3/xmodem.c

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:55 pm 

jonnosan,

I was only using Synchronet as a test. Easy to set up. But thank you.I was just wondering why kipperterm is not working with everything and I think you stated it. It is using the basic x-modem specs and not the extended. By looking here I found the differences. They refer to the basic as the 'original' protocol.