It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:58 pm 

I've just released a new version of 'netboot65' - available for d/l from http://sourceforge.net/projects/netboot65/files/

There are 3 cartridge images in this release, suitable for use with a Retro Replay (with RR-NET) or a 64NIC+

1) an 8KB image called 'netboot.bin' that can download and run pretty much any single load prg from a tftp server
2) a 16KB image called 'kipperkart.bin' that has a network stack + API in it so you can develop your own c64 network applications.
this version now includes basic "web application server" functionality - anyone who thought "ASP classic" was the worst environment for web development, wait till you've built some web forms in 6502 m/l :-). There's also a feature to download and play a SID file from a tftp server.
3) a 16KB image called "kipperterm.bin" - this has a gopher client and a telnet client that can operate either in "line mode" (like netcat), vt100 emulation (although 40x25 only) or petscii mode (for connecting to a c64 native BBS e.g. Jamming Signal or antidote). I have used (with permission of Lars Stollenwerk, the original author) the vt100 emulation from CaTer - http://formica.nusseis.de/Cater/

I view this as 'beta' quality, i.e. feature complete but not yet fully debugged. Pretty much every new environment I've tried this in has identified some issue (e.g. with dhcp initialisation, tcp stack, or vt100 emulation) - unfortunately I've run out of new systems to test against so I think the time has come to throw it out there and see what new and exciting bugs other people can find.

So if anyone is interested enough to try this stuff out, I'd appreciate any feedback on anything that didn't work (either on here or at jonnosan at gmail dot com). It would be really good if you're able to provide either packet captures (e.g. with wireshark) of any failures, or else access to the environment the problem occurs in so I can test/debug. If that's not possible, even just a description of what you did, what you expected, and what happened is still useful.

Also happy to get any suggestions on 'functional' improvements, as long as they will fit into the 100 bytes spare in KipperKart or the 900 bytes spare in KipperTerm :-) (Hey, Schema! I've finally added the ability to use drives other than #8)

Some other random bits of info:

- there is a ruby script (bin/set_ip_config.rb that you can use to set the MAC address, default drive # & IP config to use if dhcp fails)
- there is also a 100% ruby tftp server (bin/tftp_server.rb) that you can use to dish out prgs or sids on your local LAN
- if you want to test out the netboot or net sidplay, without setting up your own tftp server, you can use the jamtronix.com server (go to the 'config' menu after bootup, hit f5 to change the tftp server, enter "jamtronix.com")
- I've got a gopher page hosted on jamtronix.com with a list of places you can telnet to - in KipperTerm, hit "f3" to run gopher, enter "jamtronix.com"
when prompted for a server, and then you can choose a telnet destination by pressing the highlighted letter next to the server name

have fun, don't run with scissors, let me know if anything breaks!

cheers

Jonno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:33 am 

turns out the zip file doesn't actually include the kipperterm.bin file.
doh!

I'll put a new release up tonight. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:21 am 

version 1.0.22 uploaded now, which includes the KipperTerm cart image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Coolness!

Keep up the work! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:37 am 

Bloody brilliant, thank you! :shock:

It all worked great. Seeing ls, nano and irssi on my 64 - in 40 columns - with highlighting, colors and everything - hurt my brain a bit (in a good way!) The screen was a bit garbled, but I think that can be sorted out. Edit: Should I use the slogin and terminfo files from the CaTer site?

One extremely minor suggestion, you could borrow an idea from GuruTerm and change the border color when connected or disconnected.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:52 am 

Schema wrote:
It all worked great. Seeing ls, nano and irssi on my 64 - in 40 columns - with highlighting, colors and everything - hurt my brain a bit (in a good way!) The screen was a bit garbled, but I think that can be sorted out. Edit: Should I use the slogin and terminfo files from the CaTer site?

The current version of the cartidge identifies itself (through telnet "terminal type" option negotiation) as 'vt100' so to use the CaTer terminfo you'd either need to override the terminal type (which I guess is what the slogin script would do) or else you could hexedit the cart image to replace the string vt100 string at offset $2125 with some other unique 5 chars that you put in your terminfo entry as the termtype (e.g "kpr64").

But my preference is to get the KipperTerm vt100 emulation to work with a standard vt100 terminfo, since requiring a custom terminfo means a bigger barrier to use with each host you may want to conect with, so if we could work out what was wrong in the emulation that would be great.

There's a few possible causes of the garbling:
1) app with hidden assumption that there are more than 40 columns
2) an app using a vt100 escape code that is not implemented in my code at all
3) a bug in the CaTer emulation of a particular vt100 escape code
4) a bug in my port of the CaTer code

We should be able to eliminate the first possibility by using e.g. PuTTY with a window size of 40x25 and seeing how the app renders in that.

I *think* I can eliminate the 2nd possibility on the ground that I went through all the entries in the vt100 terminfo definition and checked that every code in that file is handled.

Is it possible for you to set things up so you can access the same server & app in both CaTer and KipperTerm, and seeing whether it renders differently? That would let me distinguish between case 3 & 4.

Schema wrote:
One extremely minor suggestion, you could borrow an idea from GuruTerm and change the border color when connected or disconnected.

Good idea, I'll put that in the next release.

I'm also playing around with adding a file transfer protocol, probably XMODEM.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:10 pm 

jonnosan wrote:
Also happy to get any suggestions on 'functional' improvements, as long as they will fit into the 100 bytes spare in KipperKart or the 900 bytes spare in KipperTerm :-) (Hey, Schema! I've finally added the ability to use drives other than #8)

First. You are the man! Your work is pushing all the envelopes of programming for the 64 and for new uses of it.

One thing I would love to see in KipperTerm is a file transfer method, such as Z-Modem, New Punter, Y-Modem, or X-Modem in the program. This is what Guru-Term is lacking. By adding a file transfer method (Uploading and Downloading) you push the future of the Commodore NIC Card. Yes, you can FTP. However, by installing a file transfer method, you can re-kindle the boards of yesteryear. At this point in time, the only way you can upload or download with a 64, is to have a connection through a Windows PC. Imagine loosing that PC and being able to do everything through the 64 and its NIC.

MisterMSK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:20 pm 

jonnosan wrote:
We should be able to eliminate the first possibility by using e.g. PuTTY with a window size of 40x25 and seeing how the app renders in that.

For example, login to torfree.net as guest/guest, which will give you a stripped-down version of Lynx. In Putty at 40x25 it looks OK (except for the tables), with the "press space for more..." message at the bottom. With Kipperterm the screen scrolls all over and I had trouble with the hyperlinks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:08 am 

Another example, try using nano on a Linux box with these settings.

stty cols 40 rows 25 almost works, but the screen scrolls - I think it's the bottom-right character causing a screen scroll. I'm guessing you're using the kernal instead of writing to the screen memory directly.

stty cols 39 rows 25 fixes the scrolling problem but I have a blank column on the right side.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:28 am 

For amusement - here's me on IRC #c64friends (irssi) through Telnet to my virtual Linux machine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:16 am 

SO there's 2 problems

1) I am sending terminal window size and terminal type as soon as (and in the order) that the remote end says they are capable of receiving them. this often means I end up sending window size before terminal type - I assume the window size gets reset by terminal size.

2) I'm using the screen write routine from CaTer, not the kernal, but I can see it wraps after writing to column 40, not before writing to column 41. on every line except the last, there's no difference, but on line 25, writing to the last column triggers a scroll when it shouldn't.

Thanks for the detailed report - should be pretty easy to fix, as soon as I get a few hours coding time (somewhat hampered this weekend though as my mother is staying with us)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:06 pm 

KipperKart works OK (TFTP, ping, etc).

However, when I try to use KipperTerm, all I get is a blank blue screen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:35 am 

I've just put a new release up (v 1.0.23 - download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/netboot65/files/ )

Changes are:
1) added a cart image (callet kipperterm_rr.bin) to allow use of the kipperterm image in a Retro Replay (or MMC Replay emulating a Retro Replay)
2) improved terminal size negotiation

I haven't yet made any changes to line wrapping - once I had the terminal window set correctly, the things I have access to that were previously 'garbled' now all seemed to be correct.

@Schema - can you see if this change fixes your issues, or the line wrapping is still wrong?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:03 am 

This is great! Great work, and thanks for making this available.

kipperterm_rr works great with my regular retro-replay + rr-net, but when using MMC64 + RR + RR-Net connected to the MMC64, it gives an error. I don't have it in front of me at the moment to reproduce the error, but will try to report the exact message later.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:38 pm 

Thank you very much for the RR net version of Kipper Term! I especially like having a Telnet program that can support both VT100 _and_ PETSCII!

I also really really like Gopher.

Just wondering, how hard would it be to implement an 80 column mode for your most excellent programs?

I was playing around with your Gopher 0.1 and I was able to implement the 80 column trick that people use with Guru term:

(the above is from my mod which sets the screen and text color to make it more readable).