It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:51 pm 

here is Kipper BASIC 1.1 which has the following changes:

1) if you specify a count of 0 for PING, it loops indefinately (per Schema's request above)
e.g. PING "JAMTRONIX.COM",0

2) if you use PING in an expression, it produces no output (unless there is an error in the DNS lookup), sends a single ping request (ICMP_ECHO) and returns an integer which is the number of miliseconds it took to get a response (or -1 if there was no response).
e.g. X=PING"JAMTRONIX.COM"

3) NETCAT now has the cursor enabled, and mostly it doesn't leave artifacts, although I am sure there are still race conditions in there where it sometimes will.

I also attempted to make the DHCP client do a 'renew' of a previously assigned IP, I eventually got it sort of working with the DHCP router my broadband router but I backed it out because it will probably cause problems with other DHCP servers.

Attachments:
kipperbas.zip [7.93 KiB]
Downloaded 424 times
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:23 pm 

Yeah, I don't really want to use Contiki, just seems like too much overhead to me. I'll look into uIP. When last I tried to research it the two paths Google led me down were Contiki and IP65. :/

Maybe the Wiznet board is the ultimate solution to this challenge. Most BBS's and BBS style games are written in BASIC, which is why I got excited about Kipper Basic. Once I sat down to write something last night I just kept running into walls and decided it was best to see what we could work out on a more usable programming model. The parts about C stubs for IP65 comes from the fact that I've grown very accustomed to working in cc65 while doing CBM-Command.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:40 pm 

jonnosan wrote:
In terms of memory usage - I didn't really imagine that either KB or BoB would be used for more than dabbling by people enjoying the novelty of doing network coding in CBM BASIC

I think it's going to be a perfect platform for simple network games written in BASIC. I've had a few people request the NetRacer source from me and be a bit overwhelmed by it - KipperBASIC would be perfect for them. And you could net-enable old BASIC games (I'm thinking Weather War).

Plus I want to port both to the VIC-20!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:48 pm 

jonnosan wrote:
here is Kipper BASIC 1.1 which has the following changes:

This looks great, trying it out now. A couple of issues:

-It still says KIPPERBASIC 1.0 when you start it.

-I had this same issue with 1.0: sometimes PING goes away forever when it doesn't get a response, instead of timing out after a second or two. Sometimes I get a "!", other times it just hangs. If I'm pinging a name that doesn't resolve, I sometimes get error $86 after a minute or so.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:51 pm 

Is this in a state yet where I can make a cart image of it to run from 8000 to ship with 64NIC+ carts?

If not, can someone help me get it to that point? I think putting it in a cart image that people can stuff into their cart would be ideal and shouldn't take that much effort.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:34 pm 

brain wrote:
Is this in a state yet where I can make a cart image of it to run from 8000 to ship with 64NIC+ carts?

I'd need to take about 2K out of each to get it into an 8K cartridge.
I can probably squeeze BASIC on Bails by taking out DHCP and PING (which would also remove requirement for DNS)

I'm not sure whether Kipper BASIC could be squeezed enough to get into 8KB and still be useful. I could probably get it under 8KB when using the wiznet chip, but that won't help with 64NIC+ of course.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:05 pm 

I had a go tonight, by taking out DHCP and DNS, I managed to get the BASIC ON BAILS code into an 8KB cart.
I left PING in there since it's useful for troubleshooting.
That is probably reasonable for a web server. But I think KIPPER BASIC would be too lame without DHCP and DNS. I could take out TFPUT and TFGET, and the ASCII <-->PETSCII conversion mode for NETCAT.

There are still some bugs to shake out, so I won't release yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:35 pm 

jonnosan wrote:
That is probably reasonable for a web server. But I think KIPPER BASIC would be too lame without DHCP and DNS. I could take out TFPUT and TFGET, and the ASCII <-->PETSCII conversion mode for NETCAT.

I agree. Good call on keeping them.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:50 pm 

As for what to cut and what to keep for a cart image, I have more use for wget than for a full set of FTP functionality. With wget I would be able to query webservices for data and then do stuff with that data.

Can I make this my Christmas wish?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:38 am 

wget will be tough to cram into a cart. However, the ip65 library does support the functionality (exposed via url_download - see http://ip65.sourceforge.net/ip65_url_s.html for details) so I guess I can give it a go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:13 am 

Here is BASIC On Bails as an 8KB cart.
DHCP is no longer supported, nor is DNS lookups

In the zip file is also a ruby scrip that can be used to set the default IP address, MAC address, gateway, netmask prior to burning an EPROM. These values can always be overwritten from within BASIC.

Attachments:
bobcart.zip [7.34 KiB]
Downloaded 422 times
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:19 pm 

Just discovered this thread and wonder if there is a link or some file repository where I can find a little more info on these projects? The link above does not work anymore and some of the links I googled didn't work either.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:27 am 

I should set up another proper home for this stuff - I've been hoping ShadowM would put his site back, I guess that ain't going to happen.

As a quick fix though, have a look at the SVN repository - http://netboot65.svn.sourceforge.net/vi ... ent/basic/

the KB.htm & BoB.htm are command summaries for KipperBASIC (intended for writing simple network clients) and BASIC on Bails (for writing web applications). kipperbas.d64 is the KipperBASIC executable, and bails.d64 is the BASIC on Bails executable.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:08 pm 

I just found DMackey828 has an archive of ShadowM's pages - the KipperBASIC and BASIC on Bails page is http://www.n2dvm.com/lyonlabs-commodore ... index.html

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:24 am 

jonnosan wrote:
I just found DMackey828 has an archive of ShadowM's pages - the KipperBASIC and BASIC on Bails page is http://www.n2dvm.com/lyonlabs-commodore ... index.html

Thank goodness! The GEOS pages are invaluable. Good to see the KB pages saved too.