It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:49 am 

Cool, I just got around to trying it. It worked fine with the RR-Net on my RR with TFR v.06. Also loaded from the MMC64 with no problems. Except the degug error.

Now all we need is a RR-NET BBS prog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:15 am 
Site Admin

I actually found a bug in GuruTerm today. I'm using kerenel routines for screen output, and it appears that this involves the special Basic editor routines as well. As a result, the " sign causes the same behaviour as if it had been entered in the Basic editor: subsequent control codes will be displayed as symbols instead of performing their control actions (change color, move cursor, etc) until a second " has been entered.

Now, i have a vague feeling that i've read about a flag (probably in the $0200-$3ff area) that controls this behaviour. Or have I just dreamt about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:44 am 

poke $d4,0 after each output char should help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:02 am 

I finally got round to testing this great little picece of software with my rr + rr-net ,
I discovered that even though it seems to interrogate the dhcp server correctly , and retrieves the DNS address properly it cannot resolve URL's, if I use the IP of the site I want to telnet to , it gets in fine ..

I'm using a linksys router with 10 Meg NTL broadband.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

@tnt: That should do it i think! Thanks!

@bones: Thanks for reporting. A few others seem to have a similar problem. from examining the packet flow, the only conclusion i've come to so far, is that guruterm might be re-transmitting DNS requests too quickly. i'll try to add more delay in beta2 to see if that resolves it. Is it just the DNS that didn't work for you, or did the DHCP request fail as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:05 pm 

I doesn't seem to have any problems with the DHCP request , it's the DNS requests that dont seem to be working m8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Ok. It sounds like the same problem as others have reported too. Will look into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:31 pm 

I tested Guruterm with the MMC + RR-Net combination this morning , it seems to detect the RR-Net fine , but gets no further .. I realize this is prolly because of my version of the MMC but I thought I'd mention it for the record ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, it's likely that you've got one of them early MMC64's there. It would be interesting to be able to identify the different CPLD revisions but I guess there's no other way than looking for bugs perhaps. According to Jens Schönfeld there are less than 20 out there, and decreasing as people send away their carts for updating.

Post subject: no luck
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:23 pm 

This is a great app when run from VICE. Unfortunately, when I run it on my actual hardware (C64, MMC64 purchased recently, rr+rrnet purchases in 2001), I get a few different error conditions:

1) mmc64, rr, and rrnet connected to the mmc64, gives me an error that it can't find the rrnet adapter. Putting the rrnet adapter on the rr cart gets the rrnet detected. From the documentation and other posts here, this seems backwards.

2) When I say N to the DHCP option, the program exits and takes me back to the basic interpreter.

3) When I accept DHCP, it works and gets an address successfully. All values appear valid. However, if I type in an IP address, it loops indefinitely saying invalid IP address, along with the dial prompt, repeating those indefinitely. A reset is needed after this.

3) If I use a host name, it loops indefinitely saying Unknown host with only the first character of the host name. For instance, if I put in foo.example.com, it loops indefinitely saying Unknown host f. Again, a reset is in order.

When the rrnet is connected to the rr adapter, it prints out the following information about my hardware:
Found mmc64 Revision A
Found rrnet cs8900a Revision D

Anyway, this seems like very odd behavior that no one else in the forum commented on. I'm not sure if it has to do with having an older rr/rrnet setup, buggy hardware, or what. Like I said, it works great from vice with rrnet emulation.

I just thought I'd let you know in case this is something obvious from your side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi!
This is very interesting. AFAIK there should exist no Revision A rr-net adaptors (actually it's the CS8900 chip revision). All the other errors sound very strange and my only explaination for this is due to either odd KERNEL ROM or damaged program file... Could there be a problem with the transfer from PC to your C= ? Also, I'd like to know what equipment you are running on (C64/128 version, etc). Also if you have a port expander attached it can cause unpredicatble problems.

Quote:
1) mmc64, rr, and rrnet connected to the mmc64, gives me an error that it can't find the rrnet adapter.

In this case, GuruTerm should say "Please attach RRnet directly to MMC64".

a) Try disabling MMC64 BIOS before starting GuruTerm.
b) I assume you're starting GuruTerm from MMC? Do you get the same behaviour if you run GuruTerm from disk?

MMC64 support is still very Beta and I haven't been able to test it very much since I don't own a MMC64 myself. However, most people don't seem to have any problems. Running just RR and RR-net should work fine though.

//RaveGuru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:33 pm 

Thank you very much for the response, I'll try to clarify some things, and have run the tests you wanted:

In regard to my previous post, when I connected the rrnet to the mmc64, it would error saying it couldn't find the rrnet, please attach it directly to the mmc64. However, when I attached it to the rr cart, it would find the rrnet just fine.

My setup is with an original 1982 C64, no C64C. I have no port expanders. I thought it may be power suppy related, I am using one of the 8.5W power supplies, not the 7.5W. One of the protovision heavy duty power supplies is on the todo list.

For disk transfers, I use Star Commander w/XM1541 cable to both a 1541 and a 1581.

I was using the MMC64 to read the .d64 and launch guruterm. I tried a couple of different variations since the last post:
1) loading from disk, with mmc64, rr cart, and rrnet attached to the mmc64. It could not find the rrnet, and asked me to attach it to the mmc64. No mmc or rrnet bios was used.

2) loading from disk, with mmc64, rrcart, and rrnet attached to the rr cart, it again could not find the rrnet and asked me to attach it to the mmc64. No mmc or rrnet bios was used.

3) loading from disk, with mmc64, no rr cart, and rrnet attached to the mmc64. It worked! No mmc or rrnet bios was used.

4) I extracted the guruterm beta1 prg from the d64, put it on the sd card, and loaded it on the mmc64 through the file browser. No rr cart, rrnet connected to the mmc64. It worked! The MMC bios was used, but not the d64 plugin.

It looks like for some reason, guruterm is really not liking the rrnet if the rr cart is attached, regardless of which cart the rrnet is attached to. Perhaps this is due to my rr and rrnet cards being part of the early (2001) release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:07 pm 

bbraun wrote:
I was using the MMC64 to read the .d64 and launch guruterm. I tried a couple of different variations since the last post:
1) loading from disk, with mmc64, rr cart, and rrnet attached to the mmc64. It could not find the rrnet, and asked me to attach it to the mmc64. No mmc or rrnet bios was used.

You cann't launch Guruterm from a MMC64 in a D64 file. It will not work. At least it never has for me. It has to be a PRG file.

bbraun wrote:
2) loading from disk, with mmc64, rrcart, and rrnet attached to the rr cart, it again could not find the rrnet and asked me to attach it to the mmc64. No mmc or rrnet bios was used.

It should work

bbraun wrote:
3) loading from disk, with mmc64, no rr cart, and rrnet attached to the mmc64. It worked! No mmc or rrnet bios was used.

Great!

bbraun wrote:
4) I extracted the guruterm beta1 prg from the d64, put it on the sd card, and loaded it on the mmc64 through the file browser. No rr cart, rrnet connected to the mmc64. It worked! The MMC bios was used, but not the d64 plugin.

Again, Great!

bbraun wrote:
It looks like for some reason, guruterm is really not liking the rrnet if the rr cart is attached, regardless of which cart the rrnet is attached to. Perhaps this is due to my rr and rrnet cards being part of the early (2001) release?

I didn't see the MMC64 taken out. Just try the RRNET connected to the RRCart and load from disk. Not using the MMC64 at all. Does this work? If it doesn't then it is maybe because of an old RRCart version. It seems from your description you have one of the first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:33 am 

uhmm.. a lot of text there ;-)

RaveGuru: READ the mans post! ;-) It's a Revision A MMC64 he has, not a Rev A RR-Net :lol:

In regards to that MMC64+RR+RRNet combo on old C64, I have never had any luck with that. I usually need to take either the MMC or the RR out of that equation for it to work. On C64c it works perfectly though.
I used to think this probably was a power related issue, but with my various SX experiments I'm starting to wonder... hm.. another test to complete for 2007 I guess ;-)

Oh and I have never had success with trying to load GuruTerm from MMC64. If I do that, it cannot detect the RRNet. (and that's with the RRNet on the RR).

RaveGuru: Maybe you could do a public post of your MMC64/RRNET init/detection code in some new thread and we could start up a discussion from there? - Maybe we could agree of some sort of "standard" for doing it and thus have a few more eyes on hunting down them little buggies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:58 am 

As suggested, I tried running guruterm from disk with just the rr + rrnet, no mmc64. This did not work. It gave an error saying it could not find the rrnet, no message saying to attach it to the mmc64.

Just to make sure the rr card did not suddenly die for non-obvious reasons, I launched contiki 1.2-devel1 with just the rr + rrnet. I was successfully able to use the rrnet with simpletelnet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next