It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:09 am 

Sorry for this noob question... I have just bought the MMC64, but when I tried to mount a disk it reported "No Retro Replay detected". Will there propably be a version that works without the retro replay cartridge?

Thanks for your help and for keeping the c64 alive. Keep up the great work!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:17 am 

LMan wrote:
Will there propably be a version that works without the retro replay cartridge?

Not likely, as you need room for both code and data and that's just not available on stock C64. It might be possible to make it work with Action Replay (+ possible custom MMC64 BIOS) but I have no intention to do that myself.

It's now available at CSDb, hopefully I get lots of "it doesn't work with one of my cards" responses :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:26 pm 

D64 plugin is coming along quite nicely, thanks! A couple of observations, the plugin now displays corrupted directory when using @$ from jiffydos wedge, load"$",8 is fine. This worked a couple of versions ago.

It would also be great to resolve the extension clash between d64mounter and kratznagel's d64 writer plugin. Perhaps the writer plugin should be invoked by highlight and then a key like the reader plugin? You still reading this kratznagel? :D

It would ultimately be neat to pop some d64s onto the card and from the c64 try the program in mounter, if it doesn't load then it write out to disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:22 pm 

Stinky wrote:
It would also be great to resolve the extension clash between d64mounter and kratznagel's d64 writer plugin. Perhaps the writer plugin should be invoked by highlight and then a key like the reader plugin? You still reading this kratznagel? :D

Yeah, of course. ;) I already minded about something like that. As soon as I get more time, I will try out a bit. :)

CU
Kratznagel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:55 pm 

Stinky wrote:
the plugin now displays corrupted directory when using @$ from jiffydos wedge, load"$",8 is fine. This worked a couple of versions ago.

This might be caused by the fix I had to make to get SidPlay0.4 working. Gotta see if it needs real fixing instead of working around with yet another kludge :)

Post subject: support loader plug ins
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:27 pm 

hi tnt is the reason because the mmc bois does not support type of loaders which may do have copy protection eg ocean loads vis load free loader. and thats why the muti load games hang after the main program and of course having no save support don't help. or once you load the main program on d64 format is loses the plug in support. or is it where the sprites are in the used in the memory locations.
cheers paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:46 am 

You are right, protections won't work. More generally, anything using 6502 CPU inside disk drive fails. That's why games have to be patched.

Post subject: d81
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:59 pm 

hi tnt how d81 going because im not sure of you've wrote the support in yet?
i tryed 2 sided d64 turbo out run the game ask to press space and enter side 2. but i can't get it to goe any more pass that point and the plug in does reconise 2 images. so how did you take your asm coding from the mos source ?. The only way that might work is to some how put one d64 side 1 in drive 8 number and then 2 side in drive 9. see thats what the emulators do. But as you said theres not an lot of space in the retro rom for this support.
cheers paul

Last edited by paulm on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:31 pm 

tnt/beyond force wrote:
LMan wrote:
Will there propably be a version that works without the retro replay cartridge?

Not likely, as you need room for both code and data and that's just not available on stock C64. It might be possible to make it work with Action Replay (+ possible custom MMC64 BIOS) but I have no intention to do that myself.

Thanks for the reply. :)

But wouldn't it be possible to keep the data in a swap file on the memory card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:56 pm 

LMan wrote:
But wouldn't it be possible to keep the data in a swap file on the memory card?

And where would I put swapping routines? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:58 pm 

Hehe okay, it was just a suggestion. I don't know anything about the internal workings of the MMC64. ;)

Well I better start saving for a Retro Replay then. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:10 pm 

LMan wrote:
Well I better start saving for a Retro Replay then. :)

The RR is handy as a pause button. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:16 pm 

in the bios if there where any space for it silly idear i know.
tnt is there anyway of mapped drive 8 and 9 together. so for example you selected side one the side 2 then press enter
looks like an mos hack is needed for this job? The only problem is that tnt and the doc only know on coding.
cheers paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:53 pm 

@Stinky: try pausing this ;) (Download available under "Current status" heading)

@LMan & paulm: Sasq's alterantive BIOS puts kernal patch into BIOS, but it suffers from lack of RAM. It uses rarely used areas to install RAM parts, but that's not nearly as compatible as using RR RAM at normally unused memory space. And it's a lot slower because of no buffering.

@paulm: multidevice support has passed my mind, but I'm not sure how to implement it. It's not too hard to do as long as there is only one image per device, but what to do when one wants to run program like Ultima V which has eight disks but only understands two drives? Disk changing should allow changing images to all virtual drives individually, but without too much visual clues that gets confuzing very fast.

Post subject: muti image support
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:28 pm 

ok what about write an an patch in the d71 formats eg for this
you know that d71 hold 370kb is there any way of adding another drive support within the disk image so half load in the retro replay and the other on the disk with added commands. eg like dreamload does before the main game loads see this support may have to goe on 2 disk once you load disk one program in to memory if you get my idear. what about putting swapping routines in to d71 image
cheers
paul

Last edited by paulm on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next