It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:35 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:12 pm 

groepaz wrote:
MagerValp wrote:
What exactly is the problem with C128s and new cartridges? All the old carts seemed to work just fine.

the signal quality on the c128 expansion port is terrible, even compared to the already awful c64 =). to be a little more precise, when certain signals go high, and thus draw current, glitches on other signals will occur. this is not so bad for the old carts, because the logic chips used on them are very slow, and they wont even notice such short glitches. but something like a modern fpga is infinitely fast compared to the old stuff, and _will_ notice all that crap - so you must somehow take care of it.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:23 am 

Another happy pre-orderer raises his hand :D

By the latest news development of the device seems to be going very well, can't wait to get my hands on this: I had high hopes for SDHC compatibility and it seems to be already under construction, if G64/41 image support will become true aswell I can't really imagine much more features this gadget would lack anymore. However, I'd like to see more accurate description about upcoming REU mode in "+" model: Will it be configurable to emulate directly existing expansion units like 17xx or will it have some sort of own adressing system?

Last edited by romppainen on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:07 pm 

groepaz wrote:
the signal quality on the c128 expansion port is terrible, even compared to the already awful c64 =). to be a little more precise, when certain signals go high, and thus draw current, glitches on other signals will occur. this is not so bad for the old carts, because the logic chips used on them are very slow, and they wont even notice such short glitches. but something like a modern fpga is infinitely fast compared to the old stuff, and _will_ notice all that crap - so you must somehow take care of it.

I believe it was the vic that caused additional problems (on top of what you describe) preventing the internal cpu from accessing the sram. Gideon should know more details as he tackled the problem. The big change is we needed more pins to do proper arbitration between sram, internal cpu, and expansion port.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:09 pm 

romppainen wrote:
Will it be configurable to emulate directly existing expansion units like 17xx or will it have some sort of own adressing system?

It is 100% compatible with 17xx. No own addressing mode.
The biggest incompatibility should be the capacity. But that will be configurable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:01 pm 

So there is also the DMA controller implemented on the FPGA?

What about a possibility of using two computers - one to control the operation with the device plugged into its expansion port and another that actually uses it for disk operations and connects only via serial cable?

But did I read something about changing images and navigating directories being doable without any software on the computer but an "extended" DOS on the emulated drives?

http://mydarkgothvampiricplace.endofthe ... Commodore/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:46 pm 

FMan wrote:
So there is also the DMA controller implemented on the FPGA?

Ofcourse, all emulated hardware is contained by the FPGA.

FMan wrote:
What about a possibility of using two computers - one to control the operation with the device plugged into its expansion port and another that actually uses it for disk operations and connects only via serial cable?

That works fine.

FMan wrote:
But did I read something about changing images and navigating directories being doable without any software on the computer but an "extended" DOS on the emulated drives?

The cartridge has an emulated 1541 drive. To insert disks in 'stand-alone'-mode there is a second drive interface. This is not an emulated drive but a simple IEC to SD card interface. It has it's pwn DOS. This DOS understands some special commands that allows you to 'mount' D64 files as a disk in the emulated 1541. Buttons can be used to mount the next or previous file in a directory. This is because you cannot use the IEC as a command interface when you are in a game that asks to insert the next disc.

A cartrige that simplifies basic commands is recommended (as build-in) since sending IEC commands stock basic requires quite some typing.

Hope this answers your questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:16 am 

doppie1200 wrote:
Buttons can be used to mount the next or previous file in a directory. This is because you cannot use the IEC as a command interface when you are in a game that asks to insert the next disc.

Ah. Cool! So I see some thought has been put into this product. :o I'm starting to understand the thing now. Thank you very much for explaining this. :) Still the price is quite high for me...

http://mydarkgothvampiricplace.endofthe ... Commodore/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:15 pm 

FMan wrote:
Thank you very much for explaining this. :) Still the price is quite high for me...

No problem.

Currently we are in the progress of ironing out the last major bugs. Then the first version will be ready for release. We expect it to be ready the coming weeks. Sadly there are some software difficuties left. So the first version will definately not be the final for both the basic and the plus as we are not satisfied feature wise.

As for cost price; if the number of hours spent on this product should have been payed in salary the device should cost a fortune. The volume is too low to justify development costs. So this is almost a charitiy project as it is.

Even Jens said it will never take production out of our hands as it is just not feasable to make a profit on this complex design in these low volumes.

I've been able to use the device from the first prototype over a year now and I can assure you; once the last unit is sold these devices will be highly sought after by enthausiasts.

But no worries, wait for the new generation of FPGA's and we are bound to come up with some other crazy idea we might put up for sale :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:17 pm 

Quote:
Currently we are in the progress of ironing out the last major bugs

you need this tool for the bug i works better than a iron :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:06 am 

odo wrote:
Quote:
Currently we are in the progress of ironing out the last major bugs

you need this tool for the bug i works better than a iron :D

:lol: Thanks I got them last evening. Tonight I'll add features to the IEC/SD interface again. Got some nifty tools to do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:30 pm 

Maybe this one ? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:26 pm 

odo wrote:
Maybe this one ? :)

Thanks. Two bugs remaining. Will get them sometime this week.
Check here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:28 pm 

doppie1200, I just read Gideon's update on the site. Things are sounding promising. Just wanna thank you guys for all your work, you're putting into this. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:40 pm 

Quote:
Just wanna thank you guys for all your work, you're putting into this.

Same here !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:30 am 

doppie1200 wrote:
Thanks. Two bugs remaining. Will get them sometime this week.
Check here!

Hehe, cool bug. Undocumented opcodes are called illegalz for a reason. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next