It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:55 am 

I just got my MMC replay and noticed that sids that rely on CIA-A will not work correctly on my machine. This holds f.e. for wizball.sid and driller.sid.

On my machine, the tunes play way too fast and also it's impossible to exit using run-stop anymore.

I tested my machines by making a .prg out of the .sid with PSID64, and those files work. Which I think means my CIA's are not b0rked.

I'm using bios 0.54, which was already on the cart when I got it.

Strange thing : Mr_ammo also tested it on his machine, and he's having no troubles. He's also using bios 0.54, but he updated it himself.

Other bug I noticed :

When browsing through an SD-card with no directories, and you move CRSR-up, the browser fucks up and shows garbage. If you have at least 1 directory -> no fuckups.

Can anyone test wizball.sid and driller.sid on their machines with MMC replay? Do they work or don't they work? What bios are you using and how is the card formatted? (My card is using FAT32, mr-ammo also used FAT32)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:23 pm 

I have BIOS 0.54 (factory flashed) and Wizball plays fine. RUN/STOP works too.

I cannot reproduce your DIR fuckup error either.

The cards I have tested with are 1 and 2GB FAT32 4KB Block Size.

Which HW are you testing this on? C64/C64c/SX-64/C128/C128D/C128DCR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:50 am 

it seems to be a crazy compatibility issue, either related to the sd card, or to the filesystem on the card.

i noticed something similar when we are doing tests... i even brought my c64 and cart to oliver so he could check it out...turned out that the very same sid files worked from his sd card, and crashed on mine. really strange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:36 pm 

groepaz wrote:
it seems to be a crazy compatibility issue, either related to the sd card, or to the filesystem on the card.

i noticed something similar when we are doing tests... i even brought my c64 and cart to oliver so he could check it out...turned out that the very same sid files worked from his sd card, and crashed on mine. really strange

Strange? Why would d64's and .prg's work and sids be read wrong? That makes no sense :D

I'm using a 2GB Apacer 60x SD card, formatted with FAT32. I'm not sure what the blocksize is.

One other thing i noticed is that my cartridge froze when i put in an SD-card. It turned out that the sd-card-holder moves a tiny bit and would touch the legs of one of the LED's.

Bending the led's up was enough to solve the problem. BTW, when i got the cart, the LED's were bent flat on the pcb.

So for any new users -> first thing to do is to bend the LED's so they are totally free.

Tonight I'll check the same sids on a different card (Kingston 128MB fat16)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:21 pm 

wvl_kszen wrote:
Why would d64's and .prg's work and sids be read wrong? That makes no sense :D

Well, if the SID player started out as a Plugin it might use different read routines.. only Oliver can answer that, I guess ;-)

wvl_kszen wrote:
I'm using a 2GB Apacer 60x SD card, formatted with FAT32. I'm not sure what the blocksize is.

That would be 4KB if formatted with default settings in Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:55 pm 

wvl_kszen wrote:
BTW, when i got the cart, the LED's were bent flat on the pcb.So for any new users -> first thing to do is to bend the LED's so they are totally free.

Ehh... Are you sure you didn't accidentally sit on your cart? My LEDs were standing up perfectly. :D

http://mydarkgothvampiricplace.endofthe ... Commodore/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:56 pm 

FMan wrote:
wvl_kszen wrote:
BTW, when i got the cart, the LED's were bent flat on the pcb.So for any new users -> first thing to do is to bend the LED's so they are totally free.

Ehh... Are you sure you didn't accidentally sit on your cart? My LEDs were standing up perfectly. :D
I got it this way in the siliconsonic box. I have to say vesalia managed to put 2 extra cases + rrnetv2 in the same box, so they might have squeezed it :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:06 pm 

That explains it. I ordered some other things too so my stuff was delivered in a bigger cardboard box and there was just the MMC Replay cart in its own box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:09 pm 

I noticed the same problem: sometimes original sid player plugin crashes system on SIDs using CIA - however in my case if you restart the system after crash everything could be working just fine. I really don't think this is SD card issues because I've tested on 3 different cards from 3 different vendors 512mb and 1gb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 am 

Alex wrote:
I noticed the same problem: sometimes original sid player plugin crashes system on SIDs using CIA - however in my case if you restart the system after crash everything could be working just fine. I really don't think this is SD card issues because I've tested on 3 different cards from 3 different vendors 512mb and 1gb.

OK, so I tried last night putting some sids on my Kingston 128MB SD-card that's FAT16 formatted -> again no luck. The tune plays, but _way_ too fast and again run-stop doesnt work anymore. (somehow, CTRL still does work, but doesnt speed anything up :D)

Tonight I'll also try using a 1GB Apacer SD-card, a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II card, and a 512MB Vivanco ( :oops: ) card.

For now I can just say that the sids simply never work, not even after resetting + starting (I tried at least 10 times).

Tonight I'll also try on my flat 128 (to see if CIA revision matters)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:28 pm 

As promised, I tested Wizball.sid using different SD-cards that I had lying around. It didnt work with any of the cards.

I did notice, that run-stop was sometimes working now.

An overview of the cards I tested :

- 1GB Apacer normal speed
- 2GB Apacer 60x speed
- 2GB Sandisk Ultra II
- 512MB Vivanco
- 128MB Kingston

All of them quite different, some fat32 formatted and some fat16 formatted. I have the feeling that maybe the sidplayer does not like my CIA's? I tested this on both my old breadbin c64's.

More testing to come.

------------------

For fun, I tested the 128MB Kingston card [FAT16] on my old MMC64 on my old breadbin. With this combo, Wizball.sid works perfectly! It also works perfectly using my FAT32 formatted 2GB Apacer 60x card..

------------------

Now I tested Wizball.sid on the FAT32 formatted 2GB Apacer 60x on my flat c128. The tune almost plays at the correct speed, but now maybe a bit too slow?

Using the MMC64 on my old breadbin, the rasterbars stayed at a fixed position, now they are constantly moving -> the timing is not 100% correct.

For completeness : the CIAs in my old breadbin are of the 6526 type with 3584 datecode and 6526-R4 with 2383 datecode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 am 

I got my Kingston 2 GB secure digital card on Friday and tested the MMC Replay SID player during the weekend. My first finding was that it suffers from sporatic crashes. I had the player freeze half a dozen times at random.

The next time I tried, the songs that had halted the machine, played. Anyways, I could not test Wizball, coz I can't remember who made that tune. However, I tested some others and here is what I got out of one:

http://www.fooman.fi/misc/Airwolf.mpg (force your player manually to widescreen if necessary)

As you can see, CONTROL works to speed up the tune, but it plays quite funky. Does this resemble what you see on your setup? Finally, the CIA-timed Finlandia Hymn tune by Toni Luode played just fine at correct speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:23 am 

[quote]I could not test Wizball, coz I can't remember who made that tune.[/quote]

HERETIC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:27 am 

Hmm.. on second look.. Wizball still plays fine on my SX-64, but some screen locations get a couple of '@@' instead of what was supposed to be printed.. oh and RUN/STOP only works sometimes :?

The Ramiro Vaca Airwolf plays just like on FMan's C128.. which sounds like crap, but nonetheless "right" I guess. It sounds way more like Airwolf on a 8580 than on 6581 btw., so maybe this SID is tagged wrong.

EDIT: oh, and don't hold any non supported keys down when powering on your MMC Replay. I have a defective 'C' on my SX, which sometimes stays down... damn.. thought my MMCR was broken already ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:50 pm 

FMan wrote:
I got my Kingston 2 GB secure digital card on Friday and tested the MMC Replay SID player during the weekend. My first finding was that it suffers from sporatic crashes. I had the player freeze half a dozen times at random.

The next time I tried, the songs that had halted the machine, played. Anyways, I could not test Wizball, coz I can't remember who made that tune. However, I tested some others and here is what I got out of one:

http://www.fooman.fi/misc/Airwolf.mpg (force your player manually to widescreen if necessary)

As you can see, CONTROL works to speed up the tune, but it plays quite funky. Does this resemble what you see on your setup? Finally, the CIA-timed Finlandia Hymn tune by Toni Luode played just fine at correct speed.

This looks like what my flat 128 was doing... But my c64's were behaving totally different. I'll make a small movie tonight to show :)

BTW - GALWAY!