It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage Question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:10 pm 

Hi

I am a total newbie to this forum but grew up on the C64 and want to relive my childhood past. I have many, many, many boxes of floppy C64 games that I got many moons ago from BBS's and want to either copy those on new floppies as they are very old. What If I download the .d C64 games from the internet, will they be exactly like the ones I have on floppys now? If they are, how do I get these .d games from the internet and copy them to new floppy discs? I guess I would need some sort of software and some cable? Would it be better to store these games on some sort of hard drive or the 1581 3.5" drive? Keep in mind that I want to be able to play these games on my original C64 keyboard and monitor. Any suggestions or other comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Dan

Post subject: Re: Storage Question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:33 pm 

The .d64 files are disk images. Each will fill a single side of a 1541 disk. Nowadays it is common to use them as wrappers even for single files, though. Once you have downloaded a .d64 file, you can write it to disk using MMC64 or perhaps MMC Replay (with FAT16? the .d64 writer with FAT32 doesn't work) or alternatively and maybe preferably via a network connection using WarpCopy64, which hasn't been updated in a long time despite many bad bugs, but it's still your best bet. It's very fast: writes a disk side in just over 30 seconds. To use it you need one of the Ethernet solutions and a normal RJ-45 cable (cross-connected or over a switch). Welcome to the forum!

http://mydarkgothvampiricplace.endofthe ... Commodore/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:26 am 

Thanks for the response...

What exactly does "one of the ethernet soultions" actually mean? Again I am a newbie here, so I am sorry for asking this question. Thanks again!!!

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:52 pm 

No problem and no need to be sorry. We are here to answer any questions. :D Let's get started. RR-Net works on top of the MMC Replay cartridge. An older version fits the Retro Replay or MMC64 (but I'm not sure if anyone has ever used it with the latter cartridge).

TFE is a stand-alone Ethernet card for C64. 1541 Ultimate now has an option of integrated Ethernet adapter, but it's very expensive and its main purpose is to be a solid-state replacement for the 1541 drive (which might actually fit your need quite well in itself taking away the need to xfer to real floppies unless you specifically want that).

There are others too, such as Jim Brain's serial project, but that's all the way in America. Of course, you might be too. :) You could check the Network section of this forum to find out more or simply Google "C64 Ethernet" or similar for additional information.

http://mydarkgothvampiricplace.endofthe ... Commodore/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:34 pm 

DB62 wrote:
Thanks for the response...

What exactly does "one of the ethernet soultions" actually mean? Again I am a newbie here, so I am sorry for asking this question. Thanks again!!!

Dan

Besides Storage you can do this :) http://www.c64web.com

Imagine your PC without a ethernet connection ! now imagine your commodore with one. :)

I use mine mainly to run a internet site from our c64, you may want to transfer files, use irc or play multiplayer games, there are a few in the downloads area on this site :)

you can normally get a rrnet from http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZredrumloa i personally bought 2 from him :) to use the rrnet you will also need a Retro/Replay or MMC/Replay, The MMC/Replay is a great storage device in the own right.