It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:47 pm 

Please have a try and give feedback about the mmc-stability:

http://www.the-dreams.de/error23_91percent.zip

(those sprite problems are really interesting...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:00 pm 

I can confirm sprites messing up MMC64 transfers, I noticed that with breadbin C64 when using my browser with 1351. It seems that MMC64 triggers read operation twice, which results in skipped bytes. I will try the demo tomorrow with the C64c which worked with mouse pointer visible.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:15 am 

This effect seems to differ on each machine. Wolf has no problems at all, Ninja's C64 is fine without RetroReplay, but my C64 doesn't like sprites even without RR.

I uploaded a small test tool to http://rrforum.ath.cx/viewtopic.php?t=88. Just copy the contents of the 'bin' directory to your MMC and hit return on the '*.tst' file. The tst plugin reads in the 512 byte file continuously and checks the received data. Hit '1' - '8' to toggle the sprites and RunStop to return to the Browser.

The statusline shows some info:

SPR OFF:<ReadCnt>/<ErrorCnt>, SPR ON :<ReadCnt>/<ErrorCnt>

<ReadCnt> is the numer of total read blocks, <ErrorCnt> counts the read errors.

I get read errors quite fast if I turn on sprite 0 (the black one). If it's just sprite 1-7 everything is fine. %-(

If you have a spare minute, please run the test on your C64 and report the results here. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:16 am 

Yesterday it didn't even work without RR on my C64. So, there is a lot more to it than just the machine type. Temperature? Shielding? Sun spots? Tractors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:44 pm 

maybe again a timing issue dependant on system temperature (simelar problem as the RR has) ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:22 pm 

When i run the test i get errors if i have sprite 0 turned on.

I was wondering a thing. I took my old demo 26kg which used plushdos 2 bit loader which didnt allow sprites outside of irq, replaced the loader with dreamload and everything works fine. Then I took axis of evil which has sprites 0-6 turned on during loading and I got corrupted data.
So is it safe to have sprites turned on during loading if they are only placed within irq?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:10 pm 

Hm.. so I did a little testing with that .tst stuff. Apparently there are NO errors on my SX64 and my c64c, while my old breadbin started pumping errors out as soon as I turned on some sprites.
This is a bit interresting actually, since I'd suspect the SX of all machines to NOT work whenever there's something that only works on "some machines", due to it being the biggest radio antenna I have in my office ;-)
Comparing this result to my other tests regarding RR-Net and Clock issues (check 2nd post of this thread: http://retrohackers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193) makes me even more confused, since my breadbin works flawlessly with RR-Net but not with this sprite/load thingie :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:53 am 

Hollowman: From what I experienced so far, sprites appearing only "in" the IRQ-routine should not cause problems. Outside, one has to skip sprite 0. I apply these rules for Error23 and so far, it seems to work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:12 am 

isn't this simply because the loader runs outside of IRQ? Thus no sprite-fetch from VIC to disturb the loader?
...haven't looked at the code, so excuse me if I'm asking stupid questions here ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:54 am 

Devia wrote:
isn't this simply because the loader runs outside of IRQ? Thus no sprite-fetch from VIC to disturb the loader?
...haven't looked at the code, so excuse me if I'm asking stupid questions here ;-)

Yes, thats what I figured, and I thought it might be a stupid question to ask, but I still did :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:46 pm 

Actually my test intro been working on the MMC for atleast 1 year :-)

But somehow it stopped to work (start) and then suddely after I upgraded the bios some days ago, I tried and it did work again.

And all sprites work, I think I use all 8.

I've just tried it on my 128DCR