It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:24 pm 

RaveGuru wrote:
Question then is: Would we want to keep the BASIC interpretter? In a way the BASIC interpretter is the heart and soul of the c64. Without it, it would no longer feel C64 i believe. But face it - 99.9% of the time we use it for LOAD"*",8:RUN. It takes up precious space in ROM and most of the time a well equipped DOS wedge is what we need. If the BASIC interpretter was thrown out the available ROM could be used for TCP/IP and MMC routines, etc. I think it's an interesting thought! What do you guys think?

BASIC-ROM is used, even if you personally don't use it. AR-code needs it a lot, for example. Dunno how much utilities need subroutines from that ($AB1E for example). I wouldn't go for it, if you want to run the old programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

NinjaDRM wrote:
BASIC-ROM is used, even if you personally don't use it. AR-code needs it a lot, for example. Dunno how much utilities need subroutines from that ($AB1E for example). I wouldn't go for it, if you want to run the old programs.

Yep! That's true. Maybe it will be impossible to just rip out the interpretter.. or probably just not worth the memory free'd up. Which is kind of good because without BASIC V2 it wont really be a C64 any longer :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:05 pm 

it's all a matter of what you want - what's the aim??
Some PRINT ($ab1e) and NUMBER ($bdcd) routines are written within a couple of bytes... i don't think that there is much more use in the BASIC ROM than this... (forgot the CHRGET, well another 12 Bytes or some... ;))
but in this case we are talking about a new operating system in some kind, enhancing the BASIC-ROM is another thing.
So guys - what do you (we) want???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Ok. Maybe we shouldn't mix up KERNEL ROM with RR ROM in the first place, but imagine a RR enabled operating system with support for RR-net and MMC64 in ROM (128K ROM should be enough don't you think?) ! And as long as we don't throw out the original kernel there's always gonna be BASIC V2 when we need it!

Post subject: Re: basic keywords
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:34 am 

This was a nice outline for a plan and it's too bad it never got anywhere, like so many others. Personally I am one of the worst: I must have started well over a hundred projects during my lifetime and finished maybe 30-40 of them - most of those simple little programs... Usually I give up when it gets too hard. :shock:

Quote:
It seems it does not change the CHRGET-routine at $0073.

Because that's the lamer's way of adding new semi-commands with a nasty hack. :lol: Hooking the tokenizer/evaluate vectors is the cool way. :wink:

Quote:
i dont see anyone complaining about graham "sitting around" on his TFR sources either.

Stop sitting on your sources, Graham! :D

Quote:
Maybe we'll see a CyberPunx comeback in 2006 :D

ROTFLOLMAO. 8)

http://mydarkgothvampiricplace.endofthe ... Commodore/

Post subject: Re: basic keywords
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:39 am 
Site Admin

FMan wrote:
This was a nice outline for a plan and it's too bad it never got anywhere, like so many others. Personally I am one of the worst: I must have started well over a hundred projects during my lifetime and finished maybe 30-40 of them - most of those simple little programs... Usually I give up when it gets too hard. :shock:

25-30% is a pretty good rate IMO. I'd be happy if i finished more than 10% of my projects :D
Anyway, it's not too late! :)

FMan wrote:
Quote:
Maybe we'll see a CyberPunx comeback in 2006 :D

ROTFLOLMAO. 8)

:lol: