It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Well, as I mentioned before, setting up a forum like this is quickly done. However, filling it with something useful takes longer. Perhaps a forum like this is not the way to go for a future RR communitiy, but for now at least it serves well as a interest-o-meter :)

I've installed an add-on to the forum that makes it possible to upload and download files. The question for now is:

What kind of sections would you like to see here? Perhaps somthing along the ways of a Coding section, a Files section, perhaps a News/Genereal Discussion section and so on...... Your suggestions are needed! :?:

Last edited by RaveGuru on Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:37 pm 

RaveGuru wrote:
Well, as I mentioned before, setting up a forum like this is quickly done. However, filling it with something useful takes longer. Perhaps a forum like this is not the way to go for a future RR communitiy, but for now at least it serves well as a interest-o-meter :)

I've installed an add-on to the forum that makes it possible to upload and download files. The question for now is:

What kind of sections would you like to see here? Perhaps somthing along the ways of a Coding section, a Files section, perhaps a News/Genereal Discussion section and so on...... Your suggestions are needed! :?:

First of all... cheers for this forum!

Maybe you can make some extra sections for Retro Replay ROM hacking, RR-Net coding and MMC64 coding.
If more ppl are interested in doing ROMs from scratch (like Graham's Final ROM) a seperate section is needed too.

R.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

scout wrote:
First of all... cheers for this forum!

Maybe you can make some extra sections for Retro Replay ROM hacking, RR-Net coding and MMC64 coding.
If more ppl are interested in doing ROMs from scratch (like Graham's Final ROM) a seperate section is needed too.

R.

Thanks, Scout!

Those are excellent suggestions. I will put them into work immediately!

Maybe a read-only section for programming-articles would be nice. That is, if some can write an article, perhaps on building roms from scratch? :D

Post subject: CONGRATULATIONS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:25 pm 
Congratulations for this forum, some of us have been waiting for a long time...

I hope to the get help and info in English here better than "the other forum" in German...

Great idea, great forum and nice sections, I learnt lot of things from here! So it is totally worth and I hope I will put my little grains to make it bigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:18 pm 

This is great, thanks! I'm really glad there is the chance of networked apps outside of Contiki.

As for the forum layout - I like what you've got so far, I'm sure it will evolve based on where the discussions go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:19 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the input guys! I'm always open for suggestions when ever you got them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:03 pm 

Hi! Cool forum!

At first glance it seems to me that most of the info here is very case oriented and deep diving, so the only thing I find myself missing is a very basic and somewhat superficial "how to"/MMC64+RR for dummies/starting out-faq. I'm one of these guys who needs some general pointers to get going, so maybe a sticky of some sort would be good. And if there is one in existance already, forgive me for posting this and please point it out for me. (Just goes to show how much guidance I actually need ;))

Andromeda

- To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:15 am 
Site Admin

A very good point, although there are some nice efforts worth checking out in the Files/Documentation section:

http://retrohackers.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

But it should be easier to find. I'm still waiting for PHPX developers to finish that File/Download module. I think i'll go do some damage in their forum... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:56 am 

I have collected the basic MMC64 and Retro Replay programming information onto a document on my website.

What could be done to the forum is to remove this and others like it: "You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while." That kind of crap is incredible annoying! :x

There is absolutely no reason to limit, what a registered user can do. It is a hindrance to the use of the forum and will cause disgruntliness among myself. I will be back soon to complain some more. :lol:

http://mydarkgothvampiricplace.endofthe ... Commodore/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

FMan wrote:
What could be done to the forum is to remove this and others like it: "You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while." That kind of crap is incredible annoying!

Wow! Didn't know anyone actually could search that intensively. It is now reduced to 5 seconds. Hope that's low enough for ya! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:16 am 

RaveGuru wrote:
Wow! Didn't know anyone actually could search that intensively. It is now reduced to 5 seconds. Hope that's low enough for ya! ;)

I run into that crap all the time. It's as easy as misspelling a word, hitting back, correcting, and then *wham* you get that useless, annoying nag screen.

What's the point of throttling anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

To prevent DoS attacks and make sysop's sleep better at night, I guess :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:09 am 

RaveGuru wrote:
Well, as I mentioned before, setting up a forum like this is quickly done. However, filling it with something useful takes longer.

It's a shame this forum is so quiet. Many of the hard-working developers, especially on RR-Net, aren't here! You should put an effort into bringing them here...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

FMan wrote:
RaveGuru wrote:
Well, as I mentioned before, setting up a forum like this is quickly done. However, filling it with something useful takes longer.

It's a shame this forum is so quiet. Many of the hard-working developers, especially on RR-Net, aren't here! You should put an effort into bringing them here...

Yes I agree. If you give me some names, I'll be happy to invite them over here.

Perhaps this forum is simply redundant. I don't know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:39 pm 

I was just going to commend you on setting up this forum. It can't be redundant since there isn't anything else! Thing is, the active developers are all congregating in their own surroundings. I bet your knowledge of RR-Net developers is as good as mine, but some that spring to mind are Doc Bacardi (HTTP-Load) and Soci (Singular Browser), Oliver Achten (MMC64 BIOS & original hardware design), Leif Bloomquist (Artillery Duel), Adam Dunkels (Contiki) and John Selck (TFR, WarpCopy, NetDrive). Leif seems to have his own board specializing in network game development and I'm sure there are people and projects on the RR-Net I haven't even heard about - not to mention on MMC64 (many unseen people have written plugins - just extract the docs and email the author to join us). :D