It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: MMC Retro freeze problem
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:35 pm 

I've just got my MMC Retro cart and I found a strange problem. On both my C128D and C64 freeze option is not working properly - it usually hangs system but sometimes it allows to get into freeze menu however restart option is not working properly: it enters monitor again. I'm using Cyberpunx ROM supplied with cart (and yes - I'm using PAL version).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:24 pm 

MMC Replay you mean. I had the same experience and had forgotten about it already, but the freezer didn't work... I must ask Jens about it.

http://mydarkgothvampiricplace.endofthe ... Commodore/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:22 pm 

With me, the freezer does work - I have latest BIOS

But... HOW do I return to / continue what I was doing after freezing (so how do I "unfreeze")? It doesn't seem to be possible... Right now it looks as if freezing has the same effect as pressing reset, except for the fact that I am sent straight to the most recently opened file in the filebrowser.

Grtz,

Michel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:30 pm 

Yes - I've meant MMC Replay of course! Still not working freezer is a real problem for me and I'd like to find a solution or at least know if the hardware is ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:12 pm 

ok, you're talking about Retro Replay ROM 3.8 started via ROM bank 0 on MMC Replay, right?
Just tested and for me it seems to work. I can successfully freeze some BASIC prog and then continue with F3 from the freezer menu.
The RR Freezer was always a bit flaky in my experience tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:49 pm 

Yes, I'm using 3.8 from bank 0 - it fails both on C128D (both 128 and 64 mode) and C64. Old RR works fine on both of those machines. I can test it on other C64s but I don't want to waste time. Maybe the cart hardware is just broken?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:17 pm 

Alex wrote:
Yes, I'm using 3.8 from bank 0 - it fails both on C128D (both 128 and 64 mode) and C64. Old RR works fine on both of those machines. I can test it on other C64s but I don't want to waste time. Maybe the cart hardware is just broken?

Now, this getting even more frustrating - I've finally convince myself to connect another C64C and everything seemed to be working properly - I even used freezer and it worked. However I left the c64 in monitor for a few minutes and when I came back it was jammed. Reset button provided me only with empty screen in default color scheme. Using power button didn't help much either. After removing power cord from C64 and waiting for about 1 minute I still have the same empty screen when the cart is connected :(

I've found out that recovery mode is still working however so it is possible to finally see READY prompt however the next reset is not giving any results. I'm really starting to think than mine cart is simply broken :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:47 pm 

Another update - RR38a is working fine on all of my c64 including freezing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:13 am 
Site Admin

It might be in order to contact Jens about this problem if you haven't done so already. Unless anyone has a better idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:34 am 

RaveGuru wrote:
It might be in order to contact Jens about this problem if you haven't done so already. Unless anyone has a better idea?

I've sent an email this morning. The funny thing is that RR (red board) works on the same hardware without problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:42 am 

Well, I guest it's high time for some update. I've found one c64 on which my card is not working but the fault could be on this certain machine side. I found out - thanks to Jens for tips - that you have to be very careful when pressing reset/freeze buttons and try not to bend the card during this operation. This helps a lot and freeze is stable when properly pressed.

Now I still need to find out why MMC Broweser is not working. Also it seems that there is no way to connect REU to MMC Replay :( This could be problematic for those who used RR to code on real thing (especially when using TMP) , I could live without REU if MMC Replay would keep memory of RR after reset - on RR after reset I still could access my sources from TASM. This is not longer possible in case of MMC Replay I believe...

Many thanks must go to tnt/beyond force for helping me sorting out MMC Browser issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:51 am 

Yups. I noticed the same. Apparently the connection to the computer breaks very easily. I haven't enclosed my MMC Replay in a case, so I supported the PCB with two empty memory card holders. :) Since then freeze has worked reliably, not that I actually need it for anything as I'm not a cracker. ;)

http://mydarkgothvampiricplace.endofthe ... Commodore/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:38 am 

FMan wrote:
Yups. I noticed the same. Apparently the connection to the computer breaks very easily. I haven't enclosed my MMC Replay in a case, so I supported the PCB with two empty memory card holders. :) Since then freeze has worked reliably, not that I actually need it for anything as I'm not a cracker. ;)

Actually I'm using freezer for debugging purposes when system enters infinite loop for example. I'm waiting for my cases to come but I'll wait till I'll get RR-net too.