It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Contiki 2.1 released
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

lodger wrote:
I do have a small problem with Contiki 2.1 and my RR-Net board. Although the software compiles and I can run some of the applications, I don't get any response from the c64 in terms of answering my ping to it. There's just no reply, no reaction shown on the RR-Net's LEDs. Is there some bug in the cs8900 driver or am I just missing something here?! Any help would be appreciated!

You need to enable the clockport connector on the Retro Replay. asm("inc $de01"); should do the trick for you! If you are using a MMC64 you need a few more lines. Search the forum for proper code and you shall find it :)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:14 pm 

Are we talking about contiki v2.1 desktop or just the contiki 2.1 webserver program. ?

Contiki v2.1 desktop environment for the c64 would be very interesting. :)

If anyone managers to compile it and get it working a .d64 upload would be really great :) :) :) .

Have Fun Shane

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

AFAIK there is no windows manager with Contiki 2, and the 1.x wm/desktop is not compatible. While Contiki1 was developed as a complete OS, Contiki2 was focused on being a tcp/ip platform for small embedded environments. Of course, if anyone feels like writing a wm and a bunch of applications for it, it would be nice, but again the use of it could be debated (mostly due to memory restrictions), except of course for the pure fun of it all. A new Contiki2 OS with support for MMC-Replay and u1541 RAM would be really cool :)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:12 pm 

Yes, there's no GUI anymore. I've been told that this is a result of Contiki 2.1 growing more into an application framework for TCP/IP enabled applications (on 8 bit microcontrollers) rather than an "all-inclusive" operating system.

Come to think of it ... how about using cc65 and the GEOS development libs from it to produce some nice uIP based GEOS telnet app ... :D

As for the initialization of my RR-Net adapter: I've already tired and played around with several initialization routines I found here. There's one asm code snippet, that does do the trick when used along with uIP 0.9 code (meaning: uIP 0.9 and its demo apps), but seems to fail when used along with Contiki 2.1 code. So I'll have a closer look at the init routine again. I just thought that maybe someone else faces the same problems. I'll report here, when I find a proper solution to this.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:15 pm 

the "desktop" still exists in/for 2.x ... its just not active in the c64 port, since it eats way too much memory to be useable.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:40 pm 

Hi,

1. The RetroReplay clockport activation IS part of the Contiki driver for the RR-Net. However the MMC64-specific stuff IS NOT.

2. Contiki 2.x for 6502 machines uses a binary configuration file called contiki.cfg. I've created an online generator for this file: http://www.a2retrosystems.com/contiki.htm.

3. The general desktop stuff in the Contiki 2.x codebase was broken because the Contiki project in general moves on to different areas. I repaired it to make sure that Contiki 2.x desktop stays a valid option. The test and demo environment is the Win32 console environment. The same is true for the dynamic loader using *.PRG and *.DSC files: Broken -> Repaired -> Win32 console as test environment.

So why isn't there a Contiki 2.x C64 desktop? Simply because I don't see a point in doing so. The Contiki desktop apps didn't receive any improvement since 1.x so it would be a significant amout of work yielding something already available.

In fact it would be hard to even archive the Contiki 1.x state as there are quite some C64 specific hacks written in assembler in the 1.x codebase: Graphics mode desktop, file and directory I/O, mouse support, screen savers, ... All this stuff isn't present in the 2.x codebase anymore and would need to be ported - just to get to the same result as with 1.x

However I thought that there could be something in between the 1.x desktop and the current "non-UI" server-type 2.x apps: Standalone UI client-type apps !

Why that? The C64 doesn't have enough memory to load more than one significant UI app from the desktop. So it might after all make more sense to have standalone UI apps loaded directly from the BASIC prompt. That allows to omit all the dynamic loading code, the window management code and the menu handling code. So I created a Contiki 2.x build option to have a single UI app running in "fullscreen mode". This is a single statically linked binary containing both the "lightweight fullscreen desktop" and the application itself. Again I tested this initially in the Win32 console environment.

Then I ported this approach to the C64 (and Apple2). In contrast to 1.x this time without special assembler hacks but rather making consequent use of cc65 assets: The UI runs in text mode completely relying on the cc65 conio library.

Obviously the by far most interesting UI app is the web browser. As a standalone text mode fullscreen app it uses much less memory than inside the 1.x desktop so I was able to activate the mouse support existing both in the 1.x and 2.x codebase. And here again no assembler hacks but usage of the stock cc65 loadable mouse drivers!

Sounds great so far - doesn't it? The Contiki web browser as a simple app with mouse support running both on the C64 and the Apple2 with only a handful of machine specific code :-)

The issue is that there's a nasty bug that I'm just not able to find:
- Contiki 1.x C64 web browser: fine
- Contiki 2.x C64 web server: fine
- Contiki 2.x Win32 web browser: fine
- Contiki 2.x C64 web browser: lots of lost ethernat packets :roll: :roll:

If someone is willing to tackle with that it would be just great. I'd certainly be able to assist in using the Contiki 2.x build system to generate the standalone web browser app.

Best, Oliver

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:54 am 

Thank you, Oliver, for your information on Contiki 2.x.

Oliver wrote:
Hi,

1. The RetroReplay clockport activation IS part of the Contiki driver for the RR-Net. However the MMC64-specific stuff IS NOT.

This could explain my problems, as I use both, RetroReplay and MMC64 on my c64 (c64 --> MMC64 --> RetroReplay).

Oliver wrote:
2. Contiki 2.x for 6502 machines uses a binary configuration file called contiki.cfg. I've created an online generator for this file: http://www.a2retrosystems.com/contiki.htm.

Yay! That's just what I needed, thank you! :)

Oliver wrote:
However I thought that there could be something in between the 1.x desktop and the current "non-UI" server-type 2.x apps: Standalone UI client-type apps !

Makes sense, I mean despite GEOS, most apps I used on the c64 were standalone applications anyway. You had a sprite editor, a text editor, some small address database ... they were all standalone. So this shouldn't be too much of an "acceptance problem" to most long-time c64 users.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:22 am 

I am creating a contiki friendly website on c64web.com its also runs from a
commodore 64 so it will be interesting "a c64 serving a c64" :)

Be ready in a few days as i have finally got time to take a breath
from work etc.

Have Fun Shane

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:57 am 

lodger wrote:
Yay! That's just what I needed, thank you! :)

You're welcome :)

Best, Oliver

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:18 pm 

Oliver wrote:
If someone is willing to tackle with that it would be just great. I'd certainly be able to assist in using the Contiki 2.x build system to generate the standalone web browser app.

Just to proof that the Contiki 2.x standalone fullscreen webbrowser with mouse support isn't vaporware (and potentially for motivation purposes) please find attached a screenshot. Please note the status line showing the URL the mouse pointer is over.

Best, Oliver

Attachments:
File comment: Screenshot
c64.gif [10.45 KiB]
Downloaded 85 times
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Nice job Oliver! :D
Well guys, there's something to work on!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:44 pm 

Hmm ... I just tried to compile Contiki-2.1 (latest release) and I get this when compiling the webserver example using make TARGET=c64:

cpu/6502/./mtarch.c -o obj_c64/mtarch.s
../../cpu/6502/./mtarch.c(68): Error: Incompatible pointer types
../../cpu/6502/./mtarch.c(113): Warning: Parameter `thread' is never used
make: *** [obj_c64/mtarch.o] Error 1

Is it me, the Contiki-2.1 sourcecode or my cc65 version (2.12.9_apr08 snapshot) ? Do I need to patch something here? Any help is appreciated!

Oh, BTW: the cc65 2.11.9 release causes the same problem. It also happens when I try to compile the hello-world example.

EDIT: Oliver helped me out here, now everything works - thanks again! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

I recognize this problem but I don't remember the cause. What was it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:21 pm 

I used the Contiki 2.1 "download" release insted of the CVS release. There must be something broken int the download version, that is now fixed in CVS but not yet released officially. I am already playing around with some of the telnet-server / shell code. Contiki really has a lot to offer. I wonder, if it's possible to do disk i/o? Or is that not implemented yet for the c64 taget?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:30 pm 

lodger wrote:
I wonder, if it's possible to do disk i/o? Or is that not implemented yet for the c64 taget?
Disk I/O is both used by Contiki internally (i.e. for reading the 'contiki.cfg' and loading the *.eth drivers) and by Contiki apps (i.e. the file-based web server and the file-related commands of the telnet-shell).

Best, Oliver

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next