It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:37 am 
Site Admin

Guys!
The more I'm looking into it, the more it seems that NOBODY have been able to get RR-net working on a MMC64. I've even heard that there's supposed to be a hardware error on MMC64 that makes the clockport READ-ONLY. I don't know if there's any truth to this. Now, let's sort this issue out once and for all. Have you or anyone else used RR-net on the MMC64 ?

And in that case on WHAT MMC revision and what COMPUTER model and version?)

Last edited by RaveGuru on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:46 pm 

I use the MMC-RRnet combination .
it works as it should every time!

masterhit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 am 
Site Admin

That's interesting. What MMC64 revision and what computer/version are you using?

I'm having a MMC64 Rev.B and a C64 model G and RR-net Rev.D that is not working together.

I'm not getting a single packet away from the RRnet when connected to the MMC64, and I'm just getting nonsense data from the RRnet registers. However, the "nonsense" seems to be semi consistent though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:43 am 

Works ok for me. MMC64 v1.1 and RR-Net, C128

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:46 pm 

I don't own the RR net but have noticed when I have the mmc64 and the retro replay plugged in, the power pack gets a bit hot. Maybe you need a heavy duty power pack because your not getting the power from the normal c64 power pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:20 pm 

Have been IRC-ing and WWW-ing with Contiki, both the version I got with my RR-Net and the latest (1.2-devel1)..

On a C64C with MMC-64 (2nd edition with blue PCB and BIOS 1.01) and RR-NET (brand new dunno the revision, and am not at home atm, but can check if you want me to).

The RR-Net stands a bit slant because of the monitor cable (but it even fits when using the RCA instead of the DIN (tested))..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:52 am 
Site Admin

Yeah.. i dont get it why Jens didn't put the clockport connector on the otherside, directed to the right. It would be the most practical having the RR-net and TP connector facing to the right. It would even be possible to house the RR-net inside the cartridge case with just the TP socket coming out on the right side. Maybe in the next revision :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:53 pm 

Another thing that is quite irritating is that when the RR-net is plugged in, you can NOT install a cartridge with a full case, you need to saw off an edge...

I love Jens' Hardware for the build quality, features and looks, but his spatial design leaves much to be desired! Why did the RRnet have to be that long anyway? Why does the Silversurfer stand off the edge just 0,5cm? Why does _none_ of the Clockport addons fit INSIDE the regular cartridge _at all_?
I don't mind cutting out holes for Flashmemory-Cards or jumpers, what i find annoying is that it's near to impossible to fit the clockport-addons inside a case!

And yes, i would very much like to have a case around all the stuff, thank you very much. I'm paranoid about static charges and my c64-travelcase has many edges and stuff flying around in there...
Another thing is that the clockport is bound to wear out and break a pin sooner or later, because the stuff just detaches itself all the time because the RRnet is so long that it happens just when you nudge the Ethernet-cable a little bit!

I made a photo once with the MMC with RR-net plus the Retro Replay with Silversurfer, i called it "The Schoenfeld Contraption"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:49 am 
Site Admin

:D I'd love to see that photo!

I totally agree. Jens' stuff is awesome but in the future we'd like to see more case-aware (case-sensitive?) design!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:22 am 

There you go... ;-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:43 pm 

ROTFL!

...back to the drawing board ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:00 pm 

It looks even better when the RRnet is attached to the Retro Replay! ;-)
Because with the MMC the Retro Replay stands up vertically, making it near-impossible to attach an actual ethernet-cable onto the open unit without "bending off" the RRnet from its connector! Jens does not seem to have heard of this thing called "gravity"...

I just don't get it. The boards are beautifully layouted, what would've been so hard to craft the clockport-addons in a way that does NOT mean they're standing off like a Hippie's hair after touching a power socket? A cartridge case could easily hold an addon module, thanks to modern SMD there's more than enough space in there! And why was this §%&§* location choosen for the clockport connector?

And even if you DO handcraft a case to support the clockport addons (actually supporting the Silversurfer is almost impossible though because its dimensions are nothing short of braindead!), you'll face the problem that you cannot interchange the modules AT ALL, because the RRnets dimensions are totally different to the Silversurfer (and i bet my left nut the mp3@c64 has COMPLETELY DIFFERENT dimensions than both of them!)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:48 pm 

Well, the SilverSurfer was made for Amiga 1200 and 600, which is likely to be the reason for the rather weird looking PCB shape.
As for the placement of the clock port on the RR, I don't think there was much thought of it's use. The RR-Net came some time later on, so why that unit wasn't designed to physically fit the clock port placement on the RR, I don't know.
-and the MMC64 design... ??? ..I agree with DeeKay. I just don't get it ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

Well..... at least you won't need to buy a new christmastree for christmas :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:22 pm 

RaveGuru wrote:
Well..... at least you won't need to buy a new christmastree for christmas :)

We need more lights!